LOST PASSWORD!! PLEASE HELP!!

HELP! INSTALLED 12.2 OK, BUT LOST PASSWORD! openSUSE 12.2 mounted with previous Win 7, lost pw for Suse. Drive is an expensive new Enterprise, so reluctant to trash it. Important data backed up. Have help suggestions for older openSUSE, but didn’t work with 12.2. I’m a rusty previous user of Linux, not up-to-date and old enough to have forgotten most of it. Both systems still working, but can’t do much with SUSE without a pw! PLEASE HELP!!:’(

You a re panicing so much that you did not see that in this subforums it says:
Please don’t ask product questions here

and

This forum is NOT for asking questions, but contains submissions to be reviewed and potentially moved to the How To/FAQ area …

This will be moved to Install/Boot/Login and is CLOSED for tthe moment.

Moved from Unreviewed howto and open again

Can you please calm down and give factual information wiithout all the crying for help?

What password did you forget, that of the user, or that of root?

I do not understand why you think you should “trash” the disc. This is about what is on it, the hardware itself it not involved at all.

Do I understand correctly that all important data is backed up somewhere uoutside that disk? That why don’t you simply install anew?

Tell us what you can do (boot openSUSE or not, login or not) in a simple way. step by step.

On 2013-03-04 22:26, hcvv wrote:

> What password did you forget, that of the user, or that of root?

Both can be recreated easily. And, the data on disk can be read from any
other Linux system, like a bootable CD.

Just google “opensuse.org lost root password” and the first hit is a
documentation page on how to retrieve it.

And the user password can be reset from Yast.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

I DON’T LIKE CAPS!!
Just like in

Otherwise:

Even if you would not be able to recover a password, you could still format it, instead of trashing it.