Lost partition table all the time

Hi guys!

As soon as I install and reboot OpenSUSE, my partition table gets lost somehow. Here is some information about my system:

Dual-booting system with Vista and OpenSUSE
2 SATA hard drives combined into one with Vista installed on them.
1 IDE hard drive with OpenSUSE installed on it.

When I install OpenSUSE, it loads fine right after the installation. Then, when I reboot the computer and select to load OpenSUSE from the Grub loader menu, it hangs right after:

root(hd4,1)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-IC35l… and so on

I tried running System Repair off of a DVD and automated test - it tells me that the partition table is lost. I choose to recover partition table and after a while it does but I am still unable to boot.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any input.

And this is openSUSE version ?

This might cause a confusion:

2 SATA hard drives combined into one with Vista installed on them
what dos it mean?

Well in computer terminology it means 2 physical hard drives connected to the motherboard through SATA connections, and, logically, in the operating system, combined into Spanned volume set. My Vista OS is on this volume set.

I forgot to mention that I also have additional 3 SATA hard drives combined into one spanned volume set which I do NOT use for linux at all. Upon my further research, I noticed that OpenSUSE, for some reason, created a boot partition on one of those 3 hard drives in the set, breaking my spanned set altogether.

Can anyone knowledgeable in this field recommend what needs to be done?

Please note, that I am installing openSuse on a completely independent IDE hard drive. On that drive, during installation, I create /swap partition with the size of 1GB and the rest 230GB for the /.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Yes, as I mentioned it is OpenSUSE ver. 11.2

Without seeing the partition tables from your exotic configuration it is very hard to give advice. Can you boot with a Linux (any flavor) CD and go to a terminal and get result of

fdisk -l

Hm… I did not know that a regular practice of creating spanned volumes is considered “exotic”. :slight_smile: Anyway, thanks to all who tried to help. I switched to Ubuntu and don’t have that problem anymore.

It is the mix of things you are doing and the hardware. IDE and SATA plus regular format and some sort of spanning. Linux uses LVM but there are all sorts of “spanning” methods. We have no clue what you are using. Note alone there is no problem but when you start mixing…:’(