lost connection to network

I need the community’s help on this. I put my computer to hibernate on saturdat night and then my family decided to play/work on it on sunday. I don’t know what they did and now I cannot connect to network via wired cable. Well I know that they tried to print but the printing was not working as my printer has no drives(Lexmark).
I tried to recreate my cable connection and it asks for the disk(OpenSuse 11.0, I assume as it says just disk 1) but cannot read it. When I try to see the disk with file browser I don’t have access to it and noticed the same for some other directories. What’s going on? Also I noticed that somehow the windows partitions which were not visible to me before are ow on my desktop(as letters from C to J - 8 in total). How this happened? Again I don’t know.
I would appreciate your help. Please let me know what details should I provide as even don’t know how to tackle this issue. I have a limited knowledge of linux, but working as a programmer for a long time,so I learned a lot in the last months and I see this problem as an opportunity to learn with your help.
thank you

when I try to reconnect the network connection I get this:
Insert ‘(Disk 1’) URL: cd:///?devices=dev/sr0
Failed to mount cd:///?devices=dev/sr0 on: Mounting media failed.

wodim -devices
wodim: Overview of accessible drives (1 found):
0 dev=’/dev/scd0’ rwr— : ‘HL-DT-ST’ ‘DVDRAM GSA-4120B’

cat /proc/filesystems /grep iso
ISO9660

mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

mount |grep sr0
/dev/sr0 on /media/cdrom0 type iso9660 (ro)

and i still get the previous error when i try to reset the network.
please help, with any suggestion even if it’s to reinstall it(let me know what should I backup) or upgrade it to 11.1(what should i backup to preserve at least most of my current configuration.

Well, I read a bit and tried few things. I selected the repair option from the initial menu and somehow I ended up in debug mode.
aruba:/home/dan # uname -a
Linux aruba 2.6.25.20-0.1-debug #1 SMP 2008-12-12 20:30:38 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I have only the failsafe and this option when it starts.

I lost my grub entry for my windows after repair and after I disabled Network Manager I was able to connect to internet.

My sound doesn’t work now. Tried to reinstall it but no luck.

I think that yast is screwed up also as it cannot read from the DVD. The disk is mounted and I can see the contents.
aruba:/home/dan # wodim -devices
wodim: Overview of accessible drives (1 found) :

0 dev=’/dev/scd0’ rwr— : ‘HL-DT-ST’ ‘DVDRAM GSA-4120B’

I think that I have to reinstall everything or upgrade to 11.1 . Please someone just tell me what should I backup so I can eventually use, if you think that I could reuse it. I would like to not reinstall samba and nxserver again.