Lost all sound

Hi!
Sound was working perfect. i run OpenSUSE 11.2 w/KDE 4.3.4
Its a laptop Dell Latitude D830.
lspci show:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

What happens was that i “mute” sound with the mute-button on the laptop. Then i let it stay muted and after i rebooted laptop i discover that sound was still muted, so now i “unmute” the sound but the sound doesn’t come back. If i execute “alsaconf” and then a windows pops up and tell me that KDE has detected a soundcard that can be removed and ask me to confirm KDE to forget permanently this card. This is the Intel-controller and of course i don’t want KDE to forget about this card.
I click on “manage units” and two sound-devices shows up in the list; Intel controller and PulsAudio. The Intel-controller is deactivated(grayed out) and can’t be managed.

So what happens here? How can i reactivate my Intel Sound-device?

RS

Check the mixer is set to master
try changing it from one to the other master to pcm, pcm to master

test again

to re-start the sound - su terminal

rcalsasound restart

Sorry it didn’t work!
When i restart sound the message to remove sound-devices appears again.

What now?

RS

Honestly - you are probably missing something obvious

Since you say it was working perfectly but now it’s not.

It’s not uncommon for the kmix setting to get messed up. Check the volume sliders. Also the trobleshooter: SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

I forgot to tell you that if i execute alsaconf, it claim that it can’t find any legacy drivers avalable; “No legacy drivers are available”.

The Troubleshooter is mostly based on older version of OpenSUSE. Will this still be good for OS11.2?

RS

from a su terminal do:

lspci -v

Look for you audio. Eg, mine goes:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)                                                                     
        Subsystem: Lenovo ThinkPad T61                                         
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17                      
        Memory at fe100000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16]               
        Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2                          
        Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+             
        Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00    
        Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>                                
        Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link <?>                              
        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel    

[/size]

> lspci -v

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: Dell Device 01fe
Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 21
Memory at febfc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link <?>[/size]

use yast to delete your card and reconfigure it

Try deleting it and reconfiguring, as suggested by Dale[/size]

Hi!
I’ve tried this several times. Both Easy setup, Normal setup and Advanced setup. When i click OK, then the same message about KDE ask to remove and forgot sound-device pops up.
Anyway i see i forgot to mention that the laptop is connected to a docking-station. I thought this doesn’t have anything to say since sound have been working without any problem earlier.

I will try now to disconnect from docking and reboot, to see if this helps.

RS

Ok! Now i’ve tried to boot the laptop without docking, and now sound works. I put it back in docking and the sound disappears again.
So something happens during docking. This was working, but now suddenly it refuse to work.

Anyone know about this docking-stations have its own sound-device? Or maybe Dell Bios deactivate the sound-device during docking and you need the right drivers to activate.
Well i dont know :frowning:

RS

I don’t know either :slight_smile: … I have no experience with Linux and docking stations (indeed no experience with MS-Windows/Mac and docking stations either).

So hypothetically, if it were me trying to sort this on a laptop of mine, what I would do is run with the PC not connected to the docking station, and with sound working:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh --no-upload

which will create the file /tmp/alsa-info.txt. I would take that file alsa-info.txt and move/rename it to /home/oldcpu/no-dockingstation.txt

I would also run as a regular user immediately after booting:

dmesg > dmesg-no-dockingstation.txt

Then I would switch OFF my laptop, and plug my PC into the dockingstation, and then switch my PC ON.

And then (assuming my sound does not work as you noted) run:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh --no-upload

which will create the file /tmp/alsa-info.txt. I would take that file alsa-info.txt and move/rename it to /home/oldcpu/with-dockingstation.txt

I would also run as a regular user immediately after booting:

dmesg > dmesg-with-dockingstation.txt

Then I would open up “no-dockingstation.txt” with Open Office and do a computerized comparison between it and “with-dockingstation.txt”.

I would also open up dmesg-no-dockingstation and dmesg-with-dockingstation with a text editor, and do a search for “alsa”, “hda”, “snd” and check to see what the differences (if any) were between those two files.

do command lsusb and see if it lists your docking station
the command hwinfo will give more information
because it may very well have its own sound device.
in which case you will have to add or configure it in yast
how many devices does yast show?

Ok now i have solved the sound-problem!

In docking i have connected external speakers. Somehow the system detect this and deactivate internal speakers.
The channel for external speakers didn’t show in Mixer and i now open all channels and then i see IEC958 was muted. I uncheck IEC958 and voila the sound is back :slight_smile:

Thanks for helping!