Lost access to Web apps after upgrade

Hi,
Just upgraded from v11.0 to v11.2, in fact its still updating the update. I had a number of web apps in folders in my htdocs, whic I cannot access at the moment. They are still there, I just cannot Access them. Has anyone struck the same problem. I know I had this problem about 12 years ago, but being older and senile I cannot remeber what exactly it was. Real important as it contains php scripts which create xml data files for upload to web pages, so would like a quick fix if possible??.

alpnz wrote:

> Just upgraded from v11.0 to v11.2, in fact its still updating

-=welcome=- to the forum…

i wonder what means you used to “upgrade” from 11.0 to 11.2?

i wonder because there is no community supported path to “upgrade”
from 11.0 to 11.2, cite: http://en.opensuse.org/Upgrade

perhaps the problems you are encountering are due to not following the
supported method to move to 11.2 from all versions prior to 11.1 of
backup data, do a fresh install (including format system) then setup
and restore data…


DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio

Thanks for taking the time to reply …
Yes I had read the advice … it referenced partition naming, as being difficult to work around, and indeed I have an issue with umount when we reboot … wont be long and I will have to sort it out I guess. I attempted a work around by naming you partitions as per the newer version requirement, but of course without a magic wand there is one partition that would not accept a name … possibly it could have been done with a live CD boot …

This issue above was turned out to be, not so much a loss of access to web pages so much as the web server could not access MySQL to complete the php script. I have it running fine now, and uploading weather data to a small webpage. The issue was caused by a change in my.cnf in /etc/my.cnf … anyone with a similar situation, check out the my.cnf.rpmnew it shows a new address for the mysql socket.

I am now tackling another issue with v4l which has a bit to do with SuSE way of locking access to resources in the PCI (Thank goodness). Trouble is it is that long ago that I fixed this little problem I have to go loopy looky to refresh my memory. If I have problems I will post a new request to the forum … best way to get specific help.

I came through the upgrade, but as you say there is no recommendation to do it that way.

Yes I would love to do a fresh install sometime … time time time …lol!

Many thanks for your help always appreciated. I have been with SuSE since v4.8, and always excited by the step forward with each stable release.

Your concern about time is misguided.
You’ll spend more time trying solve issues because of the route you have taken, than you would ever do with a clean install.

100% agreed. I spent a day to get a server working last week, that somebody upgraded by adding repos and running a zypper dup. I got it up and running, at the cost of 10 hours of work, and still some minor issues. The admin wanted a copy of the server as well, on an identical machine, to be able to switch to that in case of more trouble. I suggested a clean install on that one, then carefully copy over the configs and contents of the first one. Guess what: up and running in 3 hours, no issues at all, clean log files. After some testing the admin decided to clone the copy back to the first server. It’s a small webserver, NFS server, Samba server, and contains homedirs for 40+ users. All done in 3 hours.
BTW, the local admin (he’s new on the job, new to linux) has been converted to openSUSE/linux during this process :slight_smile: . Runs 11.2 + KDE4 on a laptop, added LXDE himself, removed VISTA from it a couple of days ago !!. He reports almost daily by IM about new things he’s found out ( and some I did not know about at all, f.e. switching activities in KDE4 4.4.3 with Meta-Tab ). His wife is very happy too, she uses Ubuntu at work, their continuous debates linux vs. M$ have gone !! openSUSE as a relation therapy :wink:

For those wondering how I did it, it was the way SuSE recommended, and that is by DVD and select upgrade. I like the idea of zypper live upgrades, great idea for live systems with redundancy available. As for Linux as a relationship therapy I am not so sure … it just seems to suck you into more and more neat stuff that you never get to see one another so much. :\

Odd thing about the Socket rewrite for MySQL client socket, I started getting error messages this afternoon, and low and behold the file had reverted back to the old address … ???

Now that would rip yer britches wouldn’t it

Upgrade/Unsupported - openSUSE

Upgrade/Supported - openSUSE

alpnz wrote:
> For those wondering how I did it, it was the way SuSE recommended, and
> that is by DVD and select upgrade.

please tell me where that is recommended by the openSUSE community,
because i want to change it immediately to make it crystal clear not
to do that!!

or, are you saying that Novell recommends it for upgrading their SUSE
Enterprise Linux Server (SLES) or Desktop (SLED) from version 11 to
version 11 with SP2 applied?

if you make the mistake of applying Novell’s recommendations for
SLES/SLED to openSUSE you will find problems…lots of them, because
SLES/D 11 is not openSUSE 11.x

similarly, if you apply the openSUSE community’s instructions and code
to SLEx you will most likely wish you had not…not that it can’t be
done, but i wouldn’t try…

by the say, there is no longer any entity known as “SuSE” (which used
to be a software company in Germany, now wholly owned by Novell)
currently making recommendations on how to upgrade from any version to
any other version…so, if you find a "SuSE recommendation in some old
how-to on the internet you would be well advised to ignore it…


DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio