Looking for partioning advice.

I normally run about 4 OS’s at a time each with / and /home partitions. Lately thats been stable openSUSE and Mandriva and developer versions of each. I’m getting a 1TB SATA HDD [Western Digital Caviar Black]. Looking for manual/info/advice on better ways to do what I do. Like one idea is to create a partition strictly for data [all kinds] that could be mounted by several OS’s. Then could create / and smaller than I have been /home partitions for each OS. Or maybe there is a better idea. Or several better ideas.

Another GNU/Linux Training and Education opportunity for Dwight.
>:)

Edit: Another idea for the future is to use a solid state drive [don’t have yet] for OS / or / and small /home] and sata 7200 rpm drives for data.

each with / and /home partitions

Well, a good idea, so far.

Like one idea is to create a partition strictly for data [all kinds] that could be mounted by several OS’s. Then could create / and smaller than I have been /home partitions for each OS.

What I think is the best idea is to create / for each distro and the separate data partition. This means that it isn’t necessary or useful to have a separate /home partition. There is nothing in /home that isn’t in the partition mounted as /home/username/data (or whatever you want to call it…/home/username/documents?) that you want to preserve across installs, so you don’t get an advantage from it.

Depends a bit, though, on how many users you have on this box: if you have hundreds, you may not want hundreds of separate little partitions, one for each user’s personal data. I’m guessing that you have 1, though.

I would consolidate all of those /home directories into one, and then change the mount point of all of them to point to that one /home. They can all do this easily, and you won’t have to worry about which /home has the stuff you need. This will be much simpler to navigate.:slight_smile:

What if the Oses has different kde installs for example 4.1 and 4.3 then there could be a conflict with the settings in the .kde folder?

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think that since I use openSUSE and Mandriva and also Factory and Cooker that it does make sense for each to have it’s own /home for things like .kde. Any way that’s what I’ve done as I now have the 1TB drive. I’m in the process of moving data to a large data partition. So far it’s going well. Not to complicated after all.

Thanks again guys.