looking for cd/dvd drives

Hey. I have just finished installing opensuse 11.1 I created one account apart from the root one. I want the my default normal user account to be able to use the cdrom and dvdrom devices! All applications inform me that i dont have the permissions to mount them

Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom…
Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
Could not access device /dev/sr0: Permission denied

mount /dev/cdrom /home/
mount: only root can do that

In the /etc/fstab i cant find any lines concerning my cd,dvd devices. I am looking for some help
Thx in advance

There is a bug in openSUSE-11.1 (which I believe appeared/was-introduced only after the RC1 release) messing up permissions for cd/dvd drives.

The work around is to add your regular user to group “disk” and group “cdrom”.

This can be done by:

YAST >> Security and Users >> User Management >> “select your user” >> Edit >> Details >> Groups >> check “cdrom” and “disk” and then click on “ACCEPT”. Don’t forget after exiting YaST, you need to restart.

If that does not work, there are more suggestions here to work around this temporary problem Solved : K3b Problem with Normal User on openSUSE 11.1 | Spirit of Change

Thx a lot it worked!!! But can u explain me plz how /dev/sr0 is responsible for /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvdrom. In older versions my optical drives were /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdc2 !

I have the same problem. I added my user to the ‘disk’ and ‘cdrom’ groups and this solved the issue with not being able to burn cds with K3B, but no other application registers the cd drive. I can’t play music or even open a cd with dolphin. Any other suggestions?

I haven’t tried manually mounting the drive yet, I’m guessing that would work, but I really don’t want to have to resort to that because I’m v.lazy :stuck_out_tongue:

Many thanks.