Long Hibernation on HP Compaq 6715b after upgraded to OpenSuse 11.3

Hi,
after upgraded to OpenSuSE 11.3 I have some problems with hibernation on my laptop HP Compaq 6715b. In previous SuSE versions going into hibernation state was very fast. Now in OpenSuSE 11.3 the hibernation basicly works, but going into hibernation state is very, very long. Sometimes after I try to hibernate my system, after long delay laptop returns to normal mode.

I switched off the splash screen to look closer on the issue, but without any clue yet. In run level 3 pm-hibernate works almost instantly. In run level 5 I can see text “s2disk: snapshoting system”, and nothing happens (there is no disk, or any other activity) for almost 1 minute 25 seconds. After that there is a little screen black flash and systems writes pages to disk, and finishes in about 15 seconds on 1 minute 40 seconds from start.

Sometimes as I said before the second stage does not work and systems returns to normal mode.

How can I debug what happens at the beginning ? or otherwise eliminate my problem ?

Thanks in advance for any advices. :slight_smile:

I tried to find some solution, so I added some debugging information to s2disk program before and after various function calls. :slight_smile:

Here is text written by my addons in bold:

s2disk: Snapshotting system
**before set_image_size
before atomic_snapshot
atomic_snapshot. before ioctl SNAPSHOT_CREATE_IMAGE
atomic_snapshot. before return
**s2disk: returned to userspace

The long waiting is just after s2disk writes to console the underlined text. It is written just before ioctl kernel call in function atomic_snapshot(…) of module suspend.c:

error = ioctl(dev, SNAPSHOT_CREATE_IMAGE, in_suspend);

So my long waiting for hibernation is caused by something what changed in kernel between OpenSuSE 11.2 and 11.3 . :\

Now in 11.3 I use kernel: 2.6.34.7-0.7-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-12-13 11:13:53 +0100 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

I am going to try to swap some kernels…