LOL.. no audio on Firefox

(Laptop, HP Pavilion DM3-1140US, openSuSE 11.2)

ok ok…it was working but not anymore. My original problem was that my HDMI audio out was not playing. I created a seperate thread for that. The events that occurred that ended up disabling audio in firefox are a little foggy…

I updated alsa to the latest version but that didnt fix HDMI out, but I dont remember if thats what messed up audio in firefox. I ended up uninstalling/reinstalling firefox, flash, gstreamer, alsa (latest version).
I did check my PCM out and it was 100%, I checked to make sure nothing was muted and it wasnt. In yast, my sound card in my laptop is set as primary.
from a terminal session, mplayer works, audio out works but firefox, no workie.

Need some additional help on getting it working again.

You have changed so much I have no idea where to start. You could have messed up flash in your updates … could have messed up alsa … gstreamer …

What desktop are you using? If KDE it is NOT enough to just check YaST. You also need to check KDE Menu > Configure Destkop > Multimedia and ensure the order of audio devices there match the order of audio devices in YaST.

Gnome uses pulse audio and I assume you need to do the same wrt checking order of audio devices in pulse (and I can’t help there as I am NOT familiar with Gnome/pulse).

oldcpu - I removed Pulse on my 11.1/Gnome laptop and Audio works just fine… I was forced to install Pulse one time, when a particular games required it for sound.

The bizarre thing is, when Pulse on active… I could not record audio streams via Audacity. It would just hang when I tried to switch recording devices. Removing it, and all worked fine – recording wise :relaxed:

cheers

yea I removed Pulse but that didnt fix it. I dunno…short of a reinstall but I’m not that annoyed… sound works just not in firefox. Oh, yes I’m using Gnome.

maybe a hint, but I did a rcalsasound restart and I get

ALSA lib conf.c:3601:(snd_config_update_r) Cannot access file /etc/alsa-pulse.conf
ALSA lib control.c:902:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:0
/usr/sbin/alsactl: get_controls:552: snd_ctl_open error: No such file or directory
Shutting down sound driverALSA lib conf.c:3601:(snd_config_update_r) Cannot access file /etc/alsa-pulse.conf
ALSA lib seq.c:935:(snd_seq_open_noupdate) Unknown SEQ default
can’t open sequencer

the file /etc/alsa-pulse.conf does not exist. What creates this conf file?