Logout spontaneusly - 11.4

Hi,
I have a strange problem which I cannot find there if someone have solved this already (only one older post but not fitting my problem). Im working on the computer and when I call some action, by some kind of haphazard, my system log me out from the session. I have to log the user once again. I don’t know how this is possible, I have 11.4 reinstalled these days, the halfyear before no such problem with 11.4. I have changed the harddisc and reinstalled the system partition. I have seen, but, that the logout was twice caused by calling printer to print. But many times I can print without problem, so I cannot say… The printer finish the task even the logout occurs.
can you help me, please?

The Xorg process (manages the GUI screen) is probably crashing.

Check in “/var/log”. There should be files Xorg.0.log and Xorg.0.log.old
The first of those files is for the current GUI session, and the other is for the previous session. There are possibly logs of what happened in the previous session log.

On 2011-10-01 14:16, lacadalet wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I have a strange problem which I cannot find there if someone have
> solved this already (only one older post but not fitting my problem). Im
> working on the computer and when I call some action, by some kind of
> haphazard, my system log me out from the session. I have to log the user
> once again. I don’t know how this is possible, I have 11.4 reinstalled
> these days, the halfyear before no such problem with 11.4. I have
> changed the harddisc and reinstalled the system partition. I have seen,
> but, that the logout was twice caused by calling printer to print. But
> many times I can print without problem, so I cannot say… The printer
> finish the task even the logout occurs.
> can you help me, please?

You don’t even say what desktop you are using… :-?

You might have an error log in your home. Find it (text mode, list last
files by date) and see what it says, if any. If you log in graphic mode
again you destroy the log.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

This does not happen from time to time. Don’t say this belongs to running a linux desktop.

Real possible reasons / solutions:

• Memory corruption. Install “memtest”, boot into the memtest utility, let it run for at least 24 hours.
  • Corrupted settings files, due to remains of old settings. Create a new user, login as that new user, and see if the problem exists for that new user.
  • Check the logfiles. Since the phenomenon is a crashing desktop environment, you could take a look at /home/YOURUSERNAME/.xsession-errors.
  • Videocard (or it’s memory) broken. This does not in all cases lead to complete loss of the desktop, as I recently discovered. Again this should leave traces in logfiles.

Please let us know a bit more about your system: which desktop environment, which videocard, videocard driver installed y/n.

Unfortunately, this exact occurrence (spontaneous logout) can happen “from time to time”, and has happened to me. The precise cause is a segfault in the X11/Xorg video drivers, and has been reproduced (see https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=704052). Personally, I have experienced this problem only with Intel graphics hardware, specifically the Intel GMA HD aka “Ironlake”. The problem occurs using up-level or factory X11/Xorg driver/input and server packages, and is resolved by regressing said packages.

The aforementioned problem is predisposed, but not exclusive, to the KDE desktop, and is further aggravated by desktop effects/compositing.

On 2011-10-05 21:56, SeanMc98 wrote:

> Unfortunately, this exact occurrence (spontaneous logout) can happen
> “from time to time”, and has happened to me. The precise cause is a

But the problem you describe leaves entries in the log file.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)