Login without/Deactivate XFCE

Hello. I’ve recently installed openSUSE on a VM and to save performance I’ve choosen during the instalation the XFCE DE. However I’d like to try use it even more basic without DE at all, nearly only terminal.
I’ve managed get to the login screen using “pkill x” (during installation I’ve enabled the auto-login option), but it only shows as available sessions XFCE or IceWM. I suppose in a normal situation I wouldn’t even have that fancy XFCE login screen.
Story short: How could I change the default DE to terminal or simply add it as a possible option upon login?
I’ve googled and tried looking at YaSt settings to no avail. Thanks in advance.

Which version of openSUSE?

Using the system in text mode is not one of the possibilities of a DE login. It is not a DE at all. What you seem to want is a so called text only system. Basicaly you should then change the default runlevel to 3. Then no GUI login is started. Not even X is started.

This is now done configuring systemd. I am not that good at it, but it seems that you should change de sysmlink

l /etc/systemd/system/default.target
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 Jan 17  2014 /etc/systemd/system/default.target -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/runlevel5.target

to point to

/usr/lib/systemd/system/runlevel3.target

And then reboot. You should then only get the console login and no display manager screen any more.

It’s the latest 13.2, sorry for not pointing it out. Yeah I meant text only, I’ll take a look at it, thanks.

Although I have all those target levels my default is:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 Dec 10 16:32 /etc/systemd/system/default.target -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/graphical.target

I can look it up since you’re not experienced with the so called systemd, but how could I change the target? Doing something like:

l /etc/systemd/system/default.target /usr/lib/systemd/system/runlevel3.target

?

Found some interesting stuff here.

Well, my example is from 13.1.
When your link is to graphical, that is equivalent to runlevel5

First check if the runlevel3 you want to link to exists. Or else post the list of possibilities (as existing on 13.2) so we can make a suggestion (something like multiuser).

Then to change you have to remove the existing link and then create a new one. Taking my sugested change from runlevel5 to :runlevel3* as example:

rm /etc/systemd/system/default.target
ln -s /usr/lib/systemd/system/runlevel3.target /etc/systemd/system/default.target

or (to make typing easier):

cd /etc/systemd/system
rm default.target
ln -s /usr/lib/systemd/system/runlevel3.target default.target

I assume that you can understand from the above how to revert your change if running into troubles :wink:

I’ve checked the folder and it has a lot of levels including “runlevel3” so should work.
Reverting shouldn’t be too hard, except instead of doing for “runlevel3” I’d do again for the graphical.target. Still, it’s just a VM that I have a backup so even if all hell breaks loose it won’t be a problem. :slight_smile:

UPDATE: Worked like a charm, thanks a lot man! :smiley:

You are welcome.

I hope you are aware of the fact that you can do this right from the installation by choosing for a text only install. Then a lot of software (X, desktops) will not be installed.

Yes, with some searching one can find good and interesting information about systemd.