LMMS question

I have opened an issue on the lmms github.

I would like to know if there are more people on openSUSE 13.1 ( or any version of openSUSE) who use LMMS.

And if they can confirm having the same problem. ( please start lmms from the command line and see if you get this error about shared memory, when using vst’s )
I compiled lmms myself, and I am looking for confirmation, if this problem is not just me.
LMMS 1.1

Or if lmms is crashing a lot, I would like to know too. (I might have found the problem)

When I start lmms I get:

Notice: could not set realtime priority.
VST sync support disabled in your configuration
RemotePluginClient::shmget: No such file or directory
RemoteVstPlugin.cpp::shmget: No such file or directory
RemoteVstPlugin.cpp: Failed to initialize shared memory for VST synchronization.
 (VST-host synchronization will be disabled)
unique ID: SMAC
RemotePlugin::DebugMessage: inputs: 0  output: 2
RemotePlugin::DebugMessage: creating editor
RemotePlugin::DebugMessage: editor successfully created
RemotePlugin::DebugMessage: failed getting shared memory
RemotePluginClient::shmget: No such file or directory
RemoteVstPlugin.cpp::shmget: No such file or directory
RemoteVstPlugin.cpp: Failed to initialize shared memory for VST synchronization.
 (VST-host synchronization will be disabled)
unique ID: SMAC
RemotePlugin::DebugMessage: inputs: 0  output: 2
RemotePlugin::DebugMessage: creating editor
RemotePlugin::DebugMessage: editor successfully created
RemotePlugin::DebugMessage: failed getting shared memory
RemotePluginClient::shmget: No such file or directory
RemoteVstPlugin.cpp::shmget: No such file or directory
RemoteVstPlugin.cpp: Failed to initialize shared memory for VST synchronization.
 (VST-host synchronization will be disabled)
unique ID: SMAC
RemotePlugin::DebugMessage: inputs: 0  output: 2
RemotePlugin::DebugMessage: creating editor
RemotePlugin::DebugMessage: editor successfully created
RemotePlugin::DebugMessage: failed getting shared memory

The problem might be wine related, and if so, I can maybe contact the wine devs.

Hello!

My system:
LMMS from -oss or packman, I can’t remember, version 1.0.100. - OS 13.1 KDE, (PulseAudio disabled).

Starts just fine on my system, none of the out-put messages you got except for ‘VST sync’ which goes away when I set it to do so. Tried both with JACK running and in ALSA mode.
Could be that the sync of VST lib and memory allocation is linked thus goes away if you enabled VST sync in LMMS? I can’t test it now as I have no VST plug-ins installed.

How is the rest of your system set up?
The real time problem might indicate several things: ‘LMMS looking for jackd which is not running’, ‘audio group priorities is not set’, ‘your user is not a member of the audio group’, ‘PulseAudio/JACK conflict’ etc…
What if you tried using an LMMS version pre-packaged for openSUSE 13.1, see if things get better?
I’m on OS 13.1 as well so I could probably help you set up the audio system if that is behind your troubles.

I don’t use LMMS much but played around with the sid synth a while ago and made a strange song, can’t remember any crash.

Cheers,
Olav

Thank you.
But my problem seems to be gone.
The messages are still there but lmms does not crash anymore. rotfl!

What fixed my problem, was the update we got yesterday / today.
At first, openSUSE did not update because of a conflict.
So I opened yast, and tried to update from there.
There were four debugging packages blocking the update.


#### YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2015-02-05 15:49:54 ####

patch:openSUSE-2013-981-1.noarch conflicts with glibc-debuginfo-32bit.x86_64 < 2.18-4.7.1 provided by glibc-debuginfo-32bit-2.18-4.4.1.x86_64

patch:openSUSE-2014-25-1.noarch conflicts with glibc-debuginfo.x86_64 < 2.18-4.11.1 provided by glibc-debuginfo-2.18-4.4.1.x86_64

patch:openSUSE-2014-79-1.noarch conflicts with libqt4-debuginfo.x86_64 < 4.8.5-5.9.2 provided by libqt4-debuginfo-4.8.5-5.6.1.x86_64

patch:openSUSE-2014-569-1.noarch conflicts with libqt4-debuginfo-32bit.x86_64 < 4.8.5-5.13.1 provided by libqt4-debuginfo-32bit-4.8.5-5.6.1.x86_64



Letting yast remove these, and then do the update, fixed my unstable lmms problem.

But still lmms from packman is not working right for me. I emailed them about this, although my self compiled version now works flawlessly.
Besides some other issue, the midi recording is not working in the one from packman.

The reason I started compiling in the first place, was the packman version not working right.
Although my version worked right (better then the packman one), it was very unstable.
But that problem is now gone.

Well done!