liveDVD manual install process

Good evening.

Is there a good solution to manually install a given LiveDVD? And/or boot from on disk?

Could I just write a program to: - mount iso - extract (squash) fs to empty partition - update grub for kernel - chroot to specify user, timezone, devices

Would anything else need to be done?

What if I copied the squashfs file out and built a new LiveDVD with isolinux? Would that work so to have a universal loopback template for grub entries?

On that note, I had thought of an idea. What if you store multiple liveDVD images on disk and boot from them without ever installing? It’s amazing that you can boot from a compressed fs (inside another fs.) I was wondering if you could mount out points from within the squashfs to your HDD. So your OS could still run on that minimal size, but have the data/configs/etc symlinked or mounted to a physical HDD. Is that possible? I feel like there must be a way to do that. It would really take advantage of that capability.

Thank you!

If you boot the live DVD image, that usually includes an installer.

Could I just write a program to: - mount iso - extract (squash) fs to empty partition - update grub for kernel - chroot to specify user, timezone, devices

Maybe. But it would take some effort to get that right.

Updating grub wouldn’t do anything. You would have to install grub. Otherwise it is only in the iso and not on a boot sector on your hard drive. And you also need to build the needed “initrd”. The “initrd” file that comes on the live media has a lot of stuff that is related to being live media.

My advice is to use the provided installer.

What if you store multiple liveDVD images on disk and boot from them without ever installing? It’s amazing that you can boot from a compressed fs (inside another fs.) I was wondering if you could mount out points from within the squashfs to your HDD.

Maybe google for “live-fat-stick” and see if that does some of what you want.

Thank you. You’ve said some helpful things. I love the avatar, btw.

:P)