Live CD Freeze

New PC, new OS win 7 and commercially created 11.3 freezes at install. Could it be ACPI and if so solution please
Thanks

First run the option from the boot menu to “check install media” (or what ever it is called), and let us know the results, also please give us some info on the hardware of this “new PC”, RAM, video card/chip, CPU, etc…

I see its your first post here, welcome to the openSUSE forums.

On 02/20/2011 03:36 PM, tofts wrote:
>
> … win 7 and … 11.3 freezes at install.

are you saying that BOTH freeze during install?

one or more of these are broken, in relation to the others:

• BIOS
  • motherboard
  • RAM
  • CD/DVD media reader

tell us about the hardware…

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.0.11, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11

Think it might be important for resolving this to know in addition to Suse, I purchased
64 studio, and Mint 10 from OSDisc.com. (Have in past always been satisfied) That being said they all freeze when I attempt installation. From boot to install or clicking on install media loading kernel is as far as it gets.
Be advised as well because of unusual HD configuration I was intending to try the live CD to partition. Out of the box this L675 has most unique HD I have seen, but what do I know? 3 primary, one being recovery and hidden.
350 GB HD
64bit
4GB Ram
AMD P220 Dual Core Processor 2.30GHz
ATI mobility Radeon HD 4200 series
To clarify the freeze is only on the installation
An administrator on win 7 forum already suggested that this HD is not Linux friendly
juat his observation
Thanks for interest

you either have a bad disk reader, or a bunch of bad disks…

take your disks to a friends computer and see if they will boot…

DenverD

In light of what action I have taken since the members suggestions I
offer following. The bad disk possibility for sure, reader absolutely not.
My action since to substanciate this. Inserted USB external, patitioned, inserted old mint 7 CD I had burned and reboot to a choice of Mint or win 7. With access i might add to win files on Mint but not on line (win 7 is wireless)
To further test this freezing I downloaded Mint 10 ISO, burned and rebooted to see what would happen.
It acted same as Suse live CD. loading/casper/vmlinuz first line
loading/casper/initrid.lz second line
Ready. third line
blinking cursor 4th line
Freeze installation.
I hope one of you can offer hope
Thanks

On 02/21/2011 03:36 AM, tofts wrote:

> I hope one of you can offer hope

insert openSUSE Live CD and do this: http://tinyurl.com/2ebcf27

if it passes that test, select to run the system from the Live CD in
the “Boot Options” blank type “nomodeset” then press enter…

if it boots up do this in a terminal and copy/paste the output back to
this thread using the instructions here: http://goo.gl/i3wnr

df -h
sudo /sbin/fdisk -l
cat /proc/partitions
cat /etc/fstab
mount

DenverD

That failed to work as well. So I tried downloading a ISO image and burning. As you know this large a process is fraught with challenges at least for this old boy. At any rate tried fresh install with new live CD toreceive cannot exex bcdedit.exe

Can you give a try to a live-usb?
Prepare using unetbootin within win7. Then have a go. Atleast will tell you if your hdd can handle linux or not.

New PC, new OS win 7 and commercially created 11.3 freezes at install.

Seriously, check the hardware, I’ve been there! done that!

Check all cables for damage, and a good connection, reconnect the cables, remove and reseat each card, video, pci, pcie, etc, you get the general idea? problem remains? talk to the vendor!!!

And run Memtest86.!!!

At any rate tried fresh install with new live CD toreceive cannot exex bcdedit.exe
If a linux system has been installed correctly there will be no point to messing with a windows bootloader!
Are you attempting to install Linux and use the windows bootloader? (can be done!). Let us know.

Recap whether it is the commercially mfg Suse 11.3, Mint 10 or a verified ISO burn of each the install fails. The do share a common error failure to execute bcdedit.
L675D does have some Linux incompatibility and I point following only in an effort to give you a picture of what is going on. Where Ubuntu and this model are
concerned it seems to reject the kernel of 10.10 (or some aspect) but not 10.04 which by way presently resides on one my logical in a dual boot process.
So there it is and still interested in installing Suse