List All Applications Installed AFTER Tumbleweed OS Install?

Hi,

On Windows 10 there is an “Apps” window in “Settings”
which shows all user installed applications.

Does openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE 64Bit have something similar?
I’ve got alot of user installed apps that I would like to uninstall.

Let me know, thanks!

Jesse

I am not sure what you mean with “user installed applications”.

Software for the system is always installed using root.

End-user can of course download (or otherwise copy from media) files and those files can be executable programs. These files will be somewhere were the user can write to, mostly somewher inside his/her home directory. But there is no administration of this, except when a user him/herself makes notes about what was done.

Hi,

Ugg…
Was hoping there was something(preferably with a GUI)
to view post OS installation software installed
with ability to uninstall from a list.

Jesse

In Yast Software Management there is a history option in the menus to show logs of what has been installed when.

And Yast Software Management also lists all installed programs. You can filter for Repos and system and system shows all base programs installed at Install

Don’t mix Windows terminology with Linux. It confuses us poor Linux user.:open_mouth: Anything that can be done in Windows can be done in Linux it is just different how it works.:wink:

That is something different from what you asked first. And of course I skipped the first paragraph what you said about Windows, because I have no idea what it does or how it works.

When you now ask for the software packages installed (of course by root using zypper/YaST) later then the software installed during he istallation of the system, the answer is: make a list and sort it to installation date. Then all later then the system installation date was installed later (you got it).

And @malcolmlewis seems to show you a way to look in the logs of zypper/YaST.

A sorted list of all installed RPMs (thus not only by zypper/YaST, also done direct using rpm) can also be made by

rpm -qa --qf '%{INSTALLTID}:%{NAME}
' | sort

The first field shows the time stamp. It bit difficult readable, but I guess you must be able to work out from the end what you have installed latest.

I am still trying to understand what your real goal is.

Maybe the next for your better understanding.
At installation, the installer starts with a set of packages to install. What is in there may be influenced by what the installer finds, like hardware components. Then the person doing the installation will have to make some decissions that will add (or remove) from that set. The most important here is what Desktop Environment is chosen to add to the installation. There are more of those implicit choices that influence the set. Then there is the screen where the installer tells what it is going to do. In that list there is the Software item. One can use it to add and/or remove packages from the set (I myself do this, adding software I am sure I need and deleting packages I do not ever want on my systems). Some people will e.g. add more Desktop Environments here already.

Thus, even when now the real installation, that is prepared, starts, the list of packages is very arbitrary. And the installer. nor any other component will take notes on why some of those packages are there: because of a preset list decided upon by openSUSE people, because of decissions taken on the screens of the installer, adds/removals by the whym of the system manager.

After the installation is done and the system is operational, the system manager can of course add, remove and update software packages. There is no property that differentiates these packages from those that were installed during system installation, except the installation date/time. But even that does not help much. When a newer version is installed of a packge (patch/update), the date of that package is now newer then all other dates in the list, regardless when it was installed for the first time (at system installation or later).

Only the detailed study of the history file of zypper/YaST can tell you what happened when.

To make things even more difficult, you talk about Applications, while I talk about packages. That is because an Application can consist of more packages. And a package can contain more then one Applications (many will simply say program ot tools).

And as last, there are also the dependencies. Packages with products (often libraries, most people will not call them Applications in their own right) that are needed to make a certain package function. But when package A needs package B (and that will then be installed as a dependency) and then C is installed and also needs B, removing package A should not bring you to the conclusion that you can also remove B. You are lucky, zypper/YaST will inform you that you will break C when deinstalling B. But it does not make things easier to oversee.

IMHO, nothing is better then good old paper and pencil to take notes on what is installed when installing a product for testing. When one decides it is not what one wants, those notes help when one wants to remove. Or simply, let it where it is. Takes only a few MBytes of diskspace.

Hi
When I hear the word application, I think more of things related to the Desktop Environment used, so perhaps a look at the ‘Patterns’ installed and perusing the pattern list on the openSUSE Build Service?

Fire up YaST Software Management and in the ‘View’ select ‘Pattern’, here you can see what packages are installed with that pattern.

You could also look at all ‘recommended’ packages installed as they could be removed, likewise I remove and lock all language packages from being installed…

rpm -qa *-lang --qf "%{name}
" |xargs zypper rm -u
zypper al *-lang

Last but not least, instead of breaking down, build up via SUSE Studio Express or using kiwi to create your own install as you want it…

Ah,

START/Settings/Yast/Software Management
Extras/Show History

was sort of what I was looking for…

Thanks!

Jesse