LinuxShark - Linux Distro based On openSUSE

openSUSE has a new release every eight months, supported for 18 months. That isn’t long enough for some people.

Ohh… That way… We (LinuxShark) offer Life Time Support (As Long as someone if using that version) :slight_smile: thanks for explaining… Please join our forums if possible :slight_smile:

LinuxShark Forum • Index page

I don’t know that “life time support” would be practical, but there are people who would appreciate longer (~24-36 mo) cycles than openSUSE offers. Frequent upgrades can be problematic.

Life Time Support = You can use any version (even the oldest version) for any period of time… and if you need any, any help with it… we will be most happy to offer you the required support.

We wanted to make it better than 24-36 months… so every user feels that his version will be always supported no matter how old it is… :slight_smile: The idea of 24-36 months would be also good… I will think about that… for future releases :slight_smile:

Please Join Our Forums :
LinuxShark Forum • Index page

Any More Review(s) or Comment(s) ??

speedbus wrote:

> We (LinuxShark) offer Life Time Support (As Long as
> someone if using that version) :slight_smile: thanks for explaining… Please join
> our forums if possible :slight_smile:

are you saying you will provide “Life Time” security updates (kernel
patches for example)?

define “Life Time” please. my life time, your life time, or LinuxShark
version xx’s life time…if the latter, what is a versions “life
time”…that is, version 11.1 will be totally unsupported by this
community on December 31, 2010…that is, there will be NO more
patches built for 11.1 after that date…but, you are saying that
SharkLinux, built from (say) 11.1 will be supported by you for someone
or something’s “Life Time”…does that mean you are gonna continue
building patch packages for all of the software released as 11.1, forever?

are you sure you understand what you are committing yourself to with
“Life Time Support” ??

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]
When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.

What I mean is that as long as some one is using that version of LinuxShark, we will offer support for it… we also have a private repo… (just built it - Index of /repo) which will support that version (Of OpenSuse) …

And If that version gets unsupported by the community we will offer support for linuxshark which is based on that version for a maximum of 2 years… and then as usual we advice our users to update to the latest version of LinuxShark every 6 months…

hope that explanation helps :slight_smile:

The LinuxShark Repository Is Here :

LinuxShark Repository Is Here !

Hope That Helps… :slight_smile:

Thanks,
SpeedBus

speedbus wrote:
> What I mean is that as long as some one is using that version of
> LinuxShark, we will offer support for it…

please define your “support” in that sentence…does it mean if
someone asks (say) “How do I open a terminal in KDE4?” in your forums
you will answer.

Or, do you mean you will provide security patches/updates for all
software included in the distro…even when those would not be
available to you from an openSUSE source…

like, if a critical security bug were found two years down the road in
the version of Firefox which was then shipping, but the same bug
existed in an old LinuxShark–would you have the capability to build
the patch for the old version, and make it available?

see?

DenverD

speedbus wrote:
> ‘LinuxShark Repository Is Here !’ (http://tinyurl.com/37puc6e)

is that for LinuxShark version 1, 2 or 3?

DenverD

We Will Provide support in both cases but will be able to help you much better in the 1st case… than the 2nd case… we will release patches for applications which have security bugs… or any other type of bug :slight_smile:

about that critical bugs that were old… we will try to archive all patches released by all application developers (those apps which are included in LinuxShark) and then allow them to be downloaded off our servers… for any one having those problems :slight_smile:

replied to your other question in the repository thread. :slight_smile:

please join our forums… LinuxShark Forum • Index page

Thanks,
SpeedBus

Any More Comment(s) , Suggestion(s) or Review(s) ?? Please Do Write one of them… they will help make LinuxShark better !!!

I have to confess that I still don’t understand what makes LinuxSharks better than openSUSE :slight_smile:
openSUSE default + one OCI click and all multimedia codecs are installed.

If he can actually provide “lifetime support,” I don’t know of any other distro that offers that.

chief sealth wrote:
> If he can actually provide “lifetime support,” I don’t know of any
> other distro that offers that.

i still wonder if s/he understands the term “lifetime support” which
is why i asked the questions i did…

prediction: in less than five years there will be zero support for
security patching the kernel of WireShark v 3…

hang around and see…

DenverD

I will provide the best possible support for any one using LinuxShark … as we have our own repository’s and we will maintain the oldest files too so even if you have the oldest version of FireFox and need help on that … … you can access the repository and update FireFox which works with that version of LinuxShark… :slight_smile: Hope that helps solving that question :slight_smile:

Please do join our forums : LinuxShark Forum • Index page

Thanks,
SpeedBus

speedbus, “support” generally includes providing patches for new bugs. There’s at least one person in these forums still using openSUSE 10.3. He has his own system for keeping updated, but 10.3 was released with KDE 3.5 and Firefox 3.0. Both of these are retired. I don’t know how far back the kernel is patched, but eventually these are retired, too. If you want to support LinuxShark “for life,” you could find yourself spending a lot of time writing your own patches with no help from upstream. Do you really think you can do this?

Yes, That is true it can take a long time … maintaining those… ill try to set the retire age for any LinuxShark version to about 5 Years… ? That Good ?

Support = Maintenance support. Backporting security patches, not just “upgrading” a software. Every distro can provide upgrading features, but only a very few distro can provide a long lifetime support. Namely, those you pay for : Red Hat (5-7years), SUSE Enterprise(5-7years), Ubuntu LTS (3 years) and… debian(3 years). All have numerous engineers or 1000+ contributors. Backporting security fixes is a long, hard, ingrate work. Could you do that? No, you can’t.

Basically, you don’t understand the notion of “Lifetime support”. Setting up repo online for years doesn’t mean that the distrib is “maintained”. If you don’t provide the security backport, it is not.

Honestly, I’m still wondering what LinuxSharks brings more than openSUSE. :?