Linux running slow

As my main pc I have a Mac running opensuse on vmware, it runs fast no problems, however i wanted Linux for my older computer, an hp a810 Athlon64 3300 2.4GHz 512Ram (If it runs good Ill buy a 1 or 2GB Ram module). I was trying to test it with the LiveCd option, It runs brutally slow from the Live cd and it doesn’t make any sense- on the system monitor it shows the CPU at about 25 to 60% and RAM at like 302Mb of use, yet firefox takes FOREVER to open and then it will just close when i try searching for something, any program i click on takes a long time to load or doesn’t come up at all, yet the CPU nor the RAM are being maxed out. In order for the Live cd option to work i have to either use safe settings or no ACIP or else it wont load. So some questions --Will it run normal if i installed it, after all I certainly meet the minimum system requirements? then strangely after i loaded the Live cd in my mac that runs Linux great on vm, it also runs slow and shows the same that the cpu or RAM isn’t being maxed. I tried the 32bit Livecd and the 64bit Livecd as the processor says Athlon64, but still painfully slow and basically non functional.

Maybe you can speed it up:

• by lending some RAM from an other PC/human while testing - as I know the live CD will try to create a RAM disk
  • by starting a live system from a live USB-Stick/USB flash device instead of a live CD
  • by using a swap partition (and creating it first if it does not exist from an other linux installation.

You may also try for older hardware an other (more huble) user interface / desktop enviroment Desktop environment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia like xfxe instead of GNOME or KDE.

I think a installed linux system will be much faster than a live CD - in your status the system always has to read, save, decompress and read again the data from the live CD if it needs it (that seems to be the limiting factor in my humble opinion).

Good luck
pistazienfresser

Extra RAM would help with the speed while running from liveCD and once you get the system installed and running.

In order for the Live cd option to work i have to either use safe settings or no ACIP or else it wont load.

This suggests you may need to do some work with drivers, and is likely to be part of your performance problem.

More info on the hardware is needed, Include details on the graphics chip used.

From the liveCD please show the output of the following from a root terminal

lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 760/M760 Host (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SG86C202
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS964 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 36)
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev 01)
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC’97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 90)
00:05.0 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] RAID bus controller 180 SATA/PATA [SiS] (rev 01)
00:09.0 Communication controller: Agere Systems V.92 56K WinModem (rev 03)
00:0b.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306 Fire II IEEE 1394 OHCI Link Layer Controller (rev 80)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter

The requirements for the LiveCDs to run are, amongst other, 1GB of RAM. It will run and install with 512MB, but some lagging may be experienced.
Mind, once installed on the hdd you will not experience this. I’ve installed on much lower profile machines with 512 MB RAM, LiveCD is horrible on old machines, but once started from hdd, all OK. (Don’t expect the impossible, but it should run like a freight train on an Athlon 3300 64bit. Use the 64bit install media.

Good luck, and a warm welcome here.

I have Athlon 300+ 64 bit with 1.5 GB DDR… The live CD lagged a bit, but on HDD it runs lightning fast… Even with desktop effects enabled.

I’m also new here and am obviously not an expert in anything that concernes linux, but if you’re concerned that SUSE will run slow on your machine, it probably won’t… I have a slower processor than you, but more ram and it works great.

I’m guessing if you disable desktop effects your system will run just fine.

I agree with the RAM issue and Installing , then sorting it out.

One issue worth giving thought to, is that the SIS video chip used is not discussed here openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users - openSUSE Forums

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter

I have not checked on the Linux driver for this, I did have an old 630/730 (I think that is correct) SIS card the driver working well for 2D.

This MainBoard appears to have an AGP slot as well as the onboard graphics, Any old AGP card the OP may have sitting around could be useful if problems did occur.