Linux Only 11.4 Machine / Clean Install From USB / GRUB Error 17 After 'GRUB 1.5 Loading' Message

Hi Folks,
I’ve just got an Asus EEBox PC (64-bit C-50 processor, 1gb RAM) which has an 8gb SSD in it, no optical drive. Whatever I use to install has to in some way connect on the USB interface. I believe this is key in my problem, but I don’t know how to fix.

I can install OpenSUSE11.4 fine from the 8gb USB key using the 64bit 11.4 ISO. During install I select ‘Boot from MBR’, disable boot from ‘/’ and GRUB installs fine. The system even boots up fine if I boot from the USB key. Standard partitioning, ~2gb swap at the start of the drive and ~6gb / thereafter. They show up as sda1 and sd2 respectively.

The BIOS is set (at the moment) to look for a USB key first and the SSD second, but I’ve tried swapping this around and it doesn’t make any difference to the outcome.

So - no matter what I do (and believe me, I’ve tried everything I can think of - even so far as reading: Chapter) all I get is:

GRUB 1.5 Loading…

Error 17

…and then the system hangs.

fdisk -l shows me what I expect, which is /dev/sda2 is bootable and that /dev/sda1 is the non-booting swap, and all GRUB files seem in order with this assertion (this is with the USB key removed post-install).

From the above URL I’ve compared the settings of the GRUB files to my perfectly fine booting OpenSUSE 11.4 server - and they’re as far as I can tell identical, but obviously I’m missing something.

The truly infuriating fact is that Ubuntu installs and boots fine! Argh!

Thanks!

Hi
What about /boot/grub/device.map file, entries ok and pointing to sda?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.37.6-0.7-desktop
up 6 days 12:09, 4 users, load average: 0.35, 0.26, 0.24
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 285.05.09

On 2011-11-07 01:06, thwibble wrote:

> GRUB 1.5 Loading…
>
> Error 17

17 : Cannot mount selected partition
This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the
filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Thanks for the assistance. I’ll pull the device.map file and review.

I checked yesterday though and couldn’t see anything ‘odd’ and it looked identical to my ‘boots fine’ server. Will post though.

Thanks again for the help.

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 01:05:44 GMT, malcolmlewis
<malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>

>Hi
>What about /boot/grub/device.map file, entries ok and pointing to sda?

Evening folks, thanks again for trying to help with this.

OK - have reviewed the device.map file. But it’s worth noting first that I turned off the BIOS boot screen and now I can see where it’s registering the devices plugged into the machine on POST.

So far as the BIOS is concerned, #0 is the SSD and device #1 is the install USB key.

Because I’ve been fiddling with Ubuntu, I restored the non-booting OpenSUSE install from a Clonezilla archive this evening, and even Clonezilla put up a message saying ‘Erm, are you sure about this?’ but didn’t give any suggestions on how to resolve it. I’ve not seen Clonezilla do this before.

When I went looking for the device.map, it had been renamed to device.map.old; HOWEVER even though this file could not possibly be found by GRUB, I still got the same error on boot. Therefore, it leads me to believe that what ever is causing the problem is before it gets to this device map part; since this evening the machine gave me the same problem with only a device.map.old file being in /boot/grub.

So - I copied the device.map.old to device.map, rebooted - same problem as initially described in this thread which isn’t really surprising.

Which brings me to the last piece of information - the device.map file.

As it stands, it looks like this:

(hd1) /dev/disk/by-id/usb-USB_DISK_2.0_039411050522370521000441-0:0
(hd0) /dev/disk/by-id/ata-SanDisk_SSD_P4_8GB_111447300024

/etc/grub.conf looks like this:
setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 --force-lba (hd0) (hd0,1)
quit

Thanks, hope that helps…

On 2011-11-11 03:56, thwibble wrote:
> When I went looking for the device.map, it had been renamed to
> device.map.old; HOWEVER even though this file could not possibly be
> found by GRUB, I still got the same error on boot. Therefore, it leads
> me to believe that what ever is causing the problem is before it gets to
> this device map part; since this evening the machine gave me the same
> problem with only a device.map.old file being in /boot/grub.

IMO, that file is not read by grub on booting. It is there to inform you of
what it does, of how it reads the disks.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)