Linux noob- Wireless network not working

I’m a linux noob and I’m trying out linux on an old laptop. Lpatop is a dell d610 model from 2005.

I successfully installed opensuse 13.1 to dual boot with Windows 7 32-bit. both os’s are working.

The wireless internet isn’t working in opensuse. I used yast > network settings and it warns that network is currently controlled by network manager. yast can’t make any changes. It tells me to use the network manager connection editor or use ifup.

i don’t know what that means. yast shows the ethernet controller to be clickable but the network wireless card is grayed out and I can’t make any changes.

the wireless card is Dell Wireless 1450 a/b/g network adapter. is the card too old to have a driver in opensuse?

If NetworkManager is active, you cannot use YaST to configure the network connections.
In this case you have to use the NetworkManager applet your Desktop provides, i.e. click on the network symbol in the panel.

You don’t tell which Desktop Environment you use, in KDE you would find it at the bottom-right of the screen by default and it would look like this:
http://wstaw.org/m/2014/03/22/systray.png
Just click on it and you should see some wireless networks if your card is working.

the wireless card is Dell Wireless 1450 a/b/g network adapter. is the card too old to have a driver in opensuse?

Could you please type this in a terminal window (konsole f.e.) and post the output:

lspci -nnk

This would show exactly what device that is, and which driver is loaded.

Oops, I just found out that this is an USB device, so please post the output of:

lsusb

IIANM, this should use a BCM4309 chip, which has a driver included in openSUSE. (at least Google told me that)
You just need to install additional firmware:

• Add the Packman repository in YaST->Software Repositories->Add->Community Repos
  • Then enter YaST->Software Management and install the packages “b43-firmware” and “b43legacy-firmware”. (I think either one should work, but it should not harm to have both)
    After a reboot, your wireless should work.

thanks wolfi323

i think the exact model of the card is Dell Wireless 1450 Dual-Band WLAN miniPCI Card. I’ll login to windows 7 and check. i don’t know what you mean by usb device. Its not an external usb plugin network card. it’s internal.

The first command gave me an error about lacking root privileges. i don’t know how to invoke root in terminal.

the second command gave this response

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

i checked system properties in windows 7. the dell 1450 wireless card is one network card that I have. i also have a Broadcom netxtreme 57xx gigabit controller. I think that’s the ethernet port.

OK, so we need the lspci output.
The Google results I got would have suggested it’s an external USB card.

The first command gave me an error about lacking root privileges. i don’t know how to invoke root in terminal.

You could type “su” to get root privileges, but that isn’t really necessary in this case.
You just have to specify the full path:

/sbin/lspci -nnk

Sorry, I didn’t think of that when I posted.

the second command gave this response

Well, if it is a PCI card, that’s normal of course. “lsusb” only shows USB devices as the name implies.

OK, but that still doesn’t say which chip it uses, i.e. which driver it needs.
Google suggests it’s a BCM4309 as I wrote, but let’s rule out all uncertainties. :wink:

i also have a Broadcom netxtreme 57xx gigabit controller. I think that’s the ethernet port.

Yes.

I tried to add the community repos. it asked for the media type. i said the kde live usb. It said the community repos was installed but when I checked in software management, community repos had no packages. when I searched for b43 packages i got no results.

did I do it wrong? is the name of the repository exactly community repos?

edit: i found a b43-fwcutter package for extracting firmware from newer broadcom drivers, but that’s not what i need.

The name of the repository is “Packman”. In YaST->“Software Repositories” click on “Add”, then select “Community Repositories”. A list of repos should appear where one of them should be “Packman”. Enable this and click on OK.

There is NO repo called “community repos”.

But you need a working Internet connection for doing it that way (through wired).
If you don’t you have to download the package(s) (in Windows f.e.) and install them manually.
http://packman.links2linux.org/package/b43legacy-firmware
http://packman.links2linux.org/package/b43-firmwareBut please, post the output of “/sbin/lspci -nnk” as well.

ah, i misread. sorry wolfi323.

I found here this quote

The Dell Wireless 1450 uses the Broadcom BCM4309 (rev 03) chipset. FedoraMobile has a guide to install the drivers for Broadcom BCMxx chipsets.

so you were probably right.

Let me try your instructions again.

You could use that as well, but I think it’s easier to just install that package from Packman.

You could of course also install “b43-fwcutter” and then run:

sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware

so I downloaded the two packages on to usb, transferred them and installed them. I’m going to restart.

here are the results of /sbin/lspci -nnk

It gave info about the modem, motherboard chipset, sata controller graphics card, ethernet, and wireless. i’m putting the results of the wireless

Network Controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4309 802.11abg Wireless Network Controller [1434:4324] (rev 03)
Subsystem: Dell Truemobile 1450 MiniPCI [1028:0003]
kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
kernel modules: ssb

OK, so it’s indeed a BCM4309 chip.
Let’s hope it works then… :wink:

Yes, it works! When I restarted, wireless networks was open in network manager. I entered wireless details, and its now online!

thank you wolfi323.

most things on the laptop seem to work, audio, video, but trackpad has a problem it does not have in windows. i have to click it 4-5 times before it registers. The trackpad is Alps Glidepoint/Stickpointer.

can you help me fix it?

Great. :slight_smile:
Just to clarify, you need “b43-firmware”. “b43legacy-firmware” is not needed/used in your case, because the “b43” driver is preferred to the “b43legacy” driver (it is newer/better).
But as I said, it doesn’t harm to have both installed.

most things on the laptop seem to work, audio, video, but trackpad has a problem it does not have in windows. i have to click it 4-5 times before it registers. The trackpad is Alps Glidepoint/Stickpointer.

can you help me fix it?

Sorry, I have no idea about that.
Have you tried to play with Touchpad settings in “Configure Desktop”->“Hardware”->“Input Devices”?

I would suggest you create a new thread in the appropriate subforum (either Hardware or Laptop I would say) about that problem though.
I’m sure there are people that will try to help you… :wink:

Okay thank you! How can I repay you? does this forums have reps?

I have one more question for you. how stable is dual booting opensuse with windows 8 on uefi? I tried with kubuntu twice in a year, but uefi kept blocking me and kubuntu would overwrite MBR and i couldn’t access windows 8. very frustrating. do you know if opensuse works better?

Yes, just click on the star below a post.

I have one more question for you. how stable is dual booting opensuse with windows 8 on uefi? I tried with kubuntu twice in a year, but uefi kept blocking me and kubuntu would overwrite MBR and i couldn’t access windows 8. very frustrating. do you know if opensuse works better?

TBH, I have no experience with Windows 8 and also not with UEFI.
I’m dual booting with Windows XP without any problems since years though.

AFAIK, openSUSE should not overwrite the MBR with the default settings.

I have installed openSUSE on various Windows 8 laptops using UEFI, works fine, no manual intervention needed.

On 03/21/2014 08:16 PM, wolfi323 wrote:
>
> Minixmouse;2632025 Wrote:
>> Yes, it works! When I restarted, wireless networks was open in network
>> manager. I entered wireless details, and its now online!
> Great. :slight_smile:
> Just to clarify, you need “b43-firmware”. “b43legacy-firmware” is not
> needed/used in your case, because the “b43” driver is preferred to the
> “b43legacy” driver (it is newer/better).
> But as I said, it doesn’t harm to have both installed.

One small clarification: Driver b43legacy is not an old version for Broadcom
hardware - it is a version for old Broadcom hardware. It only works for 802.11b
devices (BCM4301, BCM4303) and the oldest version of BCM4306. Newer BCM4306
units need b43. It is true that installing the b43legacy firmware does not hurt.
The b43legacy driver is part of every openSUSE kernel.

Note that the 802.11a part of the BCM4309 that is for the 5GHz band probably
does not work. When we were developing the 2.4 GHz part of the driver, neither a
BCM4309 nor a 5 GHz router were available.