Linux in hp pavilion dv5-1002nr

someone can help me?

I have a laptop (hp pvilion 1002nr).
It have AMD turion x2 RM70, a video card ATI radeon hd3200, HD: hitachi hts542525k9a3 SCSI, 3G OF RAM.

I want to install Linux openSuse 11 because i dont like vista, … the problem is… installation dont running (the display shows black screen, seconds after of to make click on the installation button…

I think that the problem is the disk SCSI or the Video card, i hope for your help

Thanks

Hi, at the boot prompt of the OpenSuSE CD/DVD there is an option for “text install”; you should try that as a first troubleshooting step.
Best of luck!

I have the Same Laptop, HP DV5-1002nr. I could only get OpenSUSE 11.0 to load correctly using the no APCI option.

This however, disables much of the power management features that help make your system actually last for a reasonable amount of time.

Needless to say, I have downgraded to 10.3, which installed with no known issues so far.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, i will try to install OpenSUSE 11.0 to using the no APCI option, but…

can you tell me how can i disable APCI option?

Already managed to install suse 11.0 (without ACPI) , and for the graphics card ATI RADEON HD 3200 i downloaded the driver and owner installed it (using the commands of the manufacturer’s page) but can’t i see in YaST the card or even accelerated 3d, as anyone knows the set?

Did you try following the instructions here:
ATI - openSUSE

Once you get the update kernel in place, you can remove the noacpi and replace it with nohpet.

i have the same laptop
i installed opensuse 11.1 but after installation the sound card is not outputting any volume
ironically it is being registred in yast
any help ?

The HP DV5 typically needs an update to alsa on openSUSE 11.1 in order for users to get sound. But the update one applies depends on one’s kernel. One also often needs a hand edit to the /etc/modprobe.d/sound file as well.

I can likely give you some specific recommendations, but first I need some more information.

Note, when testing if you have sound, please copy and paste the following speaker-test into a Gnome terminal or a kde konsole:

speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav
Note Linux is case sensitive, and “D” is not the same as “d”. To stop the above test, while the konsole/xterm has the mouse focus, press <CTRL><C> on the keyboard. Note you should check your mixer settings (kmix if using KDE, and alsamixer if using Gnome) to ensure that PCM and Master Volume are set around 75%. Note the test for surround sound is different.

If that test yields errors (and its not uncommon to get errors there), try instead this more simple test: speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twavYou should hear a female voice saying ‘FRONT LEFT’, ‘FRONT RIGHT’ five times.

Try as both a regular user, and with root permissions. If you have a headset, try with your headset plugged in, and also with your headset not plugged in (for speakers).

Assuming no sound, can you provide more very detailed information so a good recommendation can be given? You can do that, with your laptop connected to the internet, by opening a gnome-terminal or a kde konsole and typing “su” (no quotes - enter root password) and then and typing and executing twice :
/usr/sbin/alsa-info.shthe first time it will ask to update. Select YES for the update. The second time that will run a diagnostic script and post the output to a web site on the Internet. It will give you the URL of the web site. Please post that URL here. JUST the URL.

Also, please copy and paste the following commands one line at a time into a gnome-terminal or a konsole and post here the output: rpm -qa | grep alsa
rpm -qa | grep pulse
rpm -q libasound2
uname -a
cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

You can read examples where other users with an HP DV5 were helped, … but note depending on what you have setup, its possible your commands will be different, so IMHO if you do not precisely understand this, it is best to wait for my recommendation, after your having posted the requested information:
SUSE11.1 HP Pavilion dv5-1235la Laptop - No sounds - openSUSE Forums

thanks a lot
my sound now works
rotfl!rotfl!rotfl!