Linux, gaming platform of the future ...

Finally the big players are beginning to see what we’ve known for years: Gabe Newell: Linux is the future of gaming, new hardware coming soon | Ars TechnicaYes, linux is a very stable and completely open platform, yes.

Good news for linux in general and it will push the further development of the graphic stack and I hope others will follow Valve but my biggest problem is that the whole Battlefield series is not available on Steam or Linux and in case they decide to port it to Linux and ask for 200 bucks for a new Battlefield game on Linux I will pay it and throw in the same moment all other plattforms where I play this game in a trashcan (in my case a console). I will invest my small amounts of money in products which work on Linux but at the moment there are not much games in steam available for linux in which I’m interested in but I think it takes some time and therefore I think not many gamers will change their plattforms.

i think this is a good news for gaming community, who mostly use linux, i am excited too.

> i think this is a good news for gaming community, who mostly use linux,
> i am excited too.

As long as Valve doesn’t head down a proprietary Linux OS path…SteamLinux
or something like that. I’m glad to see Valve taking on this project though,
it’s been a long time coming.

On Mon, 07 Oct 2013 18:52:10 +0000, GofBorg wrote:

>> i think this is a good news for gaming community, who mostly use linux,
>> i am excited too.
>
> As long as Valve doesn’t head down a proprietary Linux OS
> path…SteamLinux or something like that. I’m glad to see Valve taking
> on this project though,
> it’s been a long time coming.

Legally, they have to keep the open-source stuff open-source.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

there were some messages that they even want the platform to be open, since “we, the open source communities” do better than the average software company :D.