Link two PC's together with Ethernet cable to transferLeap 15.2 (complete or ??)

Is there an ‘easy’ sequence for connecting two machines together with an Ethernet cable to transfer Leap 15.2 data/applications/home AFTER an install on 2nd machine?

So far all the instructions I have come across are all seemingly complicated and not very helpful.

I would like to transfer from a legacy unit to a GPT unit. Possible?

I am in the process of putting Leap 15.2 on my HP AIO PC, and would like to ‘move’ the applications I have on the other machine(s) to it.
IT will be a complete replace of Win10 on that machine. Tired of MS trashing my hard drives!

As an aside, the screen is very reflective on that HP AIO. Anyone know of a spray or ??? that will make the screen anti-reflective/anti-glare? Just curious.

You need a cross over either net cable, Reversing the TX and and the RX lines.

You can buy anti glare films

Crossover ethernet cables are not commonly required with modern NICs. Gigabit Ethernet typically employs Auto-MDIX (automatic medium-dependent interface crossover) to eliminate this issue.
https://www.techopedia.com/definition/3172/medium-dependent-interface-crossover-mdix

Hi Bill. Rather than connecting the two machines together via a single ethernet cable, you may find it easier just to make sure both are connected (wired or wifi) on your network. The two machines will still be visible to each other, and allow you to transfer files between them (using SFTP for example).

All my machines are on what I deem my router ‘network’. All are either WiFi(laptops & HP AIO) and Ethernet(the HP compaq).
I will look into the article you posted. Looks interesting at 1st read through.

thanks
Bill_L

Another aside.
I can make a crossover Ethernet cable by pulling an end plug and exchanging the red and yellow(or ???), then marking the end that wires were exchanged. right?

somewhere I think read that the Ethernet cable is really fast transfer.

again me being curious.

See here: http://somewhere I think read that the Ethernet cable is really fast transfer. again me being curious

It is not that simple and you need special tools.

But why bother? As Malcolm already explains todays NICs adapt to the situation.

And again, if both systems are already on the same LAN, they have connection. Thus why bothering on creating a second LAN (with two connections) where you then have to learn on how to give them IP addresses and netmasks (there won’t be a DHCP server there) without clashing with the LAN you have?

I really think you make a problem where there is none.

You can transfer the whole disk image with clonezilla via ethernet.

You have to move 2 pair for a crossover cable.

As stated above - almost all modern switches and routers can do the crossover for you.

1a. There are the old serial Laplink connections, but they’re usually slower than ethernet. If you want a brain-dead way to connect two machines without any know-how, these can be purchased both with RS-232 connections for very old machines and USB connections for today’s machines.

1b. A network connection which can be direct or using your regular home network should be preferred over a serial connection. A private, direct connection might require a cross-over cable(typically an orange cable) but if your machines are fairly new (within last 5 years) can connect using a regular patch cable (a typically blue cable but can be other colors). You can verify your physical network connection is working by inspecting the NIC link light which should be green (flashing or steady). If it’s yellow or red, your wiring is wrong and you need the other kind of cable or a replacement cable if the one you’re using is bad. Even after you have a working direct network connection with green lights, you will still need to set up your logical networking so I won’t dive into this option further unless this is what you want.

1c. A variation on the direct, physical connection is to use two patch cables connected to a private network hub or switch. This is a useful option instead of buying or making a special crossover cable.

1d. The preferred method is to just connect both your machines to your home network, preferably by patch cables connected to your Gateway router. You can try connecting using WiFi but won’t always work, some WiFi Access Points block discovery of other machines on the wireless network but you can try it anyway (Use ping to verify each machine can connect to the other).

1. Once you have your machines able to see each other, you need to configure each machine to function on the network. If on a private, direct connection you have to set this up manually so is not recommended unless is what you want and you can post asking for instructions. On most home networks, simply plugging your machine into the home network will enable them to be automatically configured using DHCP and DNS services from your Access Point or Gateway router.

2. For one machine to access files on another machine, there is one last step beyond simple network configuration, you will also have to set up a Network Share which can be done a number of ways… most common by NFS or Windows Share although there are many other ways which are possible . You can use any of a number of published guides for this or if you have problems can post your attempt and problems you might run into.

HTH,
TSU

I have tried to do the sftp or fish within Dolphin. No success what so ever. The article makes it look easy-peasy.
Both machine are running, and show up on the router as ‘active’, and I know the IP of both.
I guess I can always copy to my external HDD and then from there to the new setup on the HP-AIO(clean install).

Hi Bill. Check that you have sshd running on the server. If you plan on 2-way file sharing check both hosts…

sudo systemctl status sshd

If necessary enable the service (to start at boot)…

sudo systemctl enable sshd

and you can start immediately with

sudo systemctl start sshd

Also, if you have firewalls active on the host(s), you’ll need to allow ‘ssh’ (on port 22).

I haven’t done those commands yet, but I did open a terminal & inputted ‘ssh’ and it gave me all the options for it.
But I will do the things you suggest & see what happens.
As far as the firewall goes, both have the one that is installed in Leap 15.2. So I will have to find out how to allow ‘ssh’ on them or if already allowed.

You mentioned server above & I don’t know if the machines are considered servers. See, still a newbie!

You definitely need a listening sshd on the host you want to connect to, so do make sure that the requisite systems service is active.

As far as the firewall goes, both have the one that is installed in Leap 15.2. So I will have to find out how to allow ‘ssh’ on them or if already allowed.

Firewalld documentation…

For convenient firewalld configuration, YaST offers a graphical utility, but there is also ‘firewall-config’ GUI available which you can install if desired.

You mentioned server above & I don’t know if the machines are considered servers. See, still a newbie!

Yes, any host that you want to connect with (eg file sharing) is considered a server as it will have some kind of listening service running to handle the underlying file sharing protocol. For two-way file sharing, both hosts would be acting as servers and clients.

If all you want is this data/applications/home to the same spot on the new machine you can use rsync name-of-user:ip-of-old:/path-where-it is/ path-to-put-it-in make sure that final slash is on the 1st path. It should ask you for the password after you hit enter.

rsync -av user@ip-of-old:/data/applications/home/ /data/applications/home

OK! After a restart I can see home directory for both machines.
had to give myself permissions to write to myself, LOL.
I definitely need to start learning some things so I am not dependent on the fine folks in here.
THANKS deano_ferrari again for your time and patience!

I looked at that after the install on the 2nd machine, but decided I didn’t want possibly mess things up on a clean install.
thanks for your suggestion, as always, things I see in here are tremendous help.

Yes, since even though you are the admin and user of each machine, you’re accessing them remotely.

I definitely need to start learning some things so I am not dependent on the fine folks in here.
THANKS deano_ferrari again for your time and patience!

All good Bill. Remember, learning is fun! ������

Sorry, but I need to revisit this thread.
I had some machine problems and ended up doing another fresh install on the HP AIO.
After doing that I checked status, enabled, and restarted ‘sshd’ , then rebooted on the fresh install on the AIO,
and made sure it was still listening on the older HP desktop.
When I try to add a network folder I get an error saying ‘no route to host’.
I tried going from AIO to desktop, and same error there ‘no route to host’.

So, once again I am in here for help.
Anything I can check, set up or otherwise do to get them talking to each other again?

I assume you’ve checked that both machines are connected to the network, and that you can ping each host from the other successfully? Checked firewall on each host?