Limited Sound and No Web Cam

Let me start out by saying I’m some what of a newbie to Linux starting out on Suse 10.0 and moving to 11.0. Everything was going fine until I made the jump to 11.1 and then it went downhill, Limited sound (works on some things and not other, some games, all my downloaded movies and no sound on internet feeds) as far as the web cam goes it looks like a TV screen that’s gone off air with a little snowy picture in the lower right corner. The web cam is a creative NX if that helps. Is there a simple solution or a simple way of going back to 11.0 until all the bugs get worked out. I enjoy Linux and learning the OS, I just don’t have enough knowledge with it to fix these issues. Can anyone help, Thank you

I Guess no one in here knows about Suse 11.1

You may have better luck if you separate your questions into two separate threads. Also, 30-March is not long ago. You are not politely giving users much chance to read your post. Not everyone checks the forum every day. Some only check once/week.

Also, you asked for a simple way. I doubt there is a simple way, hence no answer.

Saying a web cam is a “creative NX” doesn’t help. Plug in your web cam, and type “lsusb” and post here the output. Maybe someone (not I) can help there after you provide that information.

Your sound description doesn’t help either. We need to know under what applications sound works, and what applications sound does not work. The general description you provided is interesting, but simply not descriptive enough.

Reference sound, let me tell you “generally” what I do. As soon as I establish internet on a new openSUSE installation, I immediately setup my Software Package Manager with a 3rd party repository. (where repositories are file servers on the internet with applications, codecs, drivers … ). I always recommend new users setup their Software Package manager with ONLY 4 repositories. Just 4. No others. None. Those 4 are OSS, Non-OSS, Update, and Packman. Chances are the 1st 3 (OSS, Non-OSS, Update) are already setup, and one just needs to setup the 4th (Packman). There is guidance for doing that here for openSUSE-11.1: Repositories/11.1 - openSUSE-Community Again, only those 4. If you add others it can cause dependency and other problems, and unless you know how to fix such problems, it is often a mistake to add more. So stick with the 4 repos I mentioned. In particular, as a new user, do NOT add videolan repos (if you have Packman).

Once those 4 repos are setup, then go to YaST > Software > Software Management and change “filter” to “search” and search for and select for installation the Packman packaged versions of amarok, amarok-xine, amarok-packman, libxine1, xine-ui, smplayer, mplayerplug-in, vlc, libffmpeg0, w32codec-all, libquicktime0, xvidcore, libxvidcore4.

When you run amarok, change the sound engine to xine.

Be careful if using 3D or special desktop effects, as often multimedia apps will not play well with those effects enabled. Users with Intel graphic hardware can also have problems.

There is some general openSUSE concepts in this wiki, which can be helpful for new users: Concepts - openSUSE