Libvirt Not Starting After Updating With Zypper

@malcolmlewis Yes I have rebooted and its the same.

I also found out that someone tried to install Apache on this machine and as such installed the repositories that it depends on since 15.2 is EOL, so everything except openSUSE 15.2 wasn’t originally on the machine when it was working. Should I try to disable them?

@malcolmlewis

It looks like that was exactly the problem, libvirt is working now along with my Virtual Machines.

Thank you very much for helping me to troubleshoot this problem as well as showing me lots of useful commands that I can use in the future.

I will probably start to secure my VM data and then update my system so that I won’t run into this problem again. You mentioned something about snapper, would this help me further down the line?

@User12345678 good deal :smile: It would have as you can rollback, but that’s if your running btrfs as the file system? If you run the command mount will show what filesystems are in use.

So in this case, you need to grab the iso images for Leap 15.3 and 15.4 to do offline upgrade (don’t have the system connected to the internet). See here https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade.

Again, backup all your important suff for the virtual machines in /var/lib/libvirt and /etc/libvirt and probably /etc/qemu.

With the repos disabled now I would suggest restoring the system via a dup, BUT doing a dry run first to see what is what, zypper ref -f zypper -vvv dup -D the dry run options makes no changes but will show what it’s going to do. The -vvv adds verbosity for information.

@malcolmlewis Thanks for the information. I will get to securing and following the offline upgrade instructions.

Quick question though what is restoring the system using a dup?

@User12345678 anything that now the repos are gone will be marked as a ‘System Package’

zypper se -si | grep -E "System Package"

A dup (distribution upgrade) will actually be a downgrade of these packages that came from the non standard repos and should be from either repos #16 and #25 from your previous list (those numbers change when repos are deleted).