Libre Office - DocX

Hi all,

Work have migrated to word 2010 and Docx format. I thought I was fine with my home machine with Libreoffice as it says on their website that it will open docx files.

For some odd reason it opens as a blank chart. This is the same for all word files - irrespective of whether doc or docx. Something odd is happening here.

Before I clean install libreoffice just want to check that I don’t need a simple add in?

thanks

Ben.

I haven’t had any problems opening doc or docx files with LibreOffice, and I didn’t have to install any add-ins. Have you tried running it from a terminal to see if there are any error messages?

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 09:26:02 +0530, dimesio
<dimesio@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
> waveheadwales;2442067 Wrote:
>>
>> Work have migrated to word 2010 and Docx format. I thought I was fine
>> with my home machine with Libreoffice as it says on their website that
>> it will open docx files.
>>
>> For some odd reason it opens as a blank chart. This is the same for
>> all word files - irrespective of whether doc or docx. Something odd is
>> happening here.
>>
>> Before I clean install libreoffice just want to check that I don’t need
>> a simple add in?
>>
> I haven’t had any problems opening doc or docx files with LibreOffice,
> and I didn’t have to install any add-ins. Have you tried running it from
> a terminal to see if there are any error messages?
>

i did have trouble with some docx files, those saevd with one of the
latest versions of MS word, containing a lot of images and fancy
formatting. neither libre- nor openoffice would open those, but crash
trying. the only way i found to open the files was starting MS office in a
virtualbox and re-saving those files for an earlier version of word.
didn’t investigate further since this was limited to one or two files and
didn’t bother me again.

apart from that, .doc & .docx files open fine in my current version of
libreoffice, without additional plugins. that the original poster can’t
open andy .doc/x files anymore seems to indicate that something in his LO
setup got messed up.


phani.

phanisvara das wrote:

> i did have trouble with some docx files, those saevd with one of the
> latest versions of MS word, containing a lot of images and fancy
> formatting. neither libre- nor openoffice would open those, but crash
> trying. the only way i found to open the files was starting MS office in a
> virtualbox and re-saving those files for an earlier version of word.
> didn’t investigate further since this was limited to one or two files and
> didn’t bother me again.

Another thought on this: I had one of those fancy layouts that appeared to
hang up. Went for a cup of coffee, got sidetracked and when I finally got
back to the keyboard an hour later the thing had finally opened. I also find
very long opening times with a couple of spread sheets containing fairly
complex references to other files - especially charts with html renderings.


Will Honea

No problems normally with docx but also had a couple of long waits and in one case where the images did not render I examined the docx file and discovered it contained a custom.xml folder.

Hi all, thanks for thoughts.

yes frustrating and odd. I did have ability to open Docx in libre/oo previously. Seems new format docx and possible the work format of my report is not openable. This is what happens - I get a filter selection box asking for selection of Openoffice 1 chart, ODF chart, Help Content.

Checking - now it’s not just docx but plain doc files. I tried update of Libre office - same versions installed as latest issue. I will now remove libre office and clean install. see if that cures it.

Didn’t have to do a clean install - just refreshed all the libre files and works - opens the troublesome files as well. Not sure what happened there!

Happy days again.:slight_smile: