libqt5-qtwebengine broken after update to 20190718

I just updated my Tumbleweed install after being away from home since the end of June, and various applications that rely on libqt5-qtwebengine (like kontact/kmail or ksysguard) are now broken in that they won’t launch.

Running any of these from a terminal, the only feedback given is

kontact: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libQt5WebEngineCore.so.5: undefined symbol: FT_Palette_Select

Due to other (now resolved) issues I had already installed, snapper rolled back and reinstalled the 20190718 updates three times, and this issue persisted, so probably not some freak installation issue. I haven’t found any other mention of this issue, which makes me suspicious as that seems like it would be noticed fairly quickly.

Anyone else run into this or have ideas on troubleshooting this further?

Post:

zypper lr -d

And you use only!!

zypper dup

to update your Tumbleweed?

#  | Alias                               | Name              | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                                       
---+-------------------------------------+-------------------+---------+-----------+---------+----------+--------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1  | NVidia                              | NVidia            | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed/                                          
2  | Packman                             | Packman           | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/                                         
3  | openSUSE_Tumbleweed                 | Emulators         | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/                 
4  | repo-debug                          | repo-debug        | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | https://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/debug                                        
5  | repo-non-oss                        | repo-non-oss      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | https://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/non-oss                                      
6  | repo-oss                            | repo-oss          | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | https://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss                                          
7  | repo-update                         | repo-update       | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | https://download.opensuse.org/update/tumbleweed/                                           
8  | smplayer-dev                        | smplayer-dev      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/smplayerdev/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/  

And yes, I always update using zypper dup. From a text terminal usually, just in case X falls over and dies or something in the middle of an update. :wink:

You can try adding the KDE Unstable repos to see if any of those packages might help…

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_repositories#KDE_Frameworks_5.2C_Plasma_5_and_Applications

Unfortunately,
I can only speculate if the problem is likely that your KDE apps might need modification or different Qt libraries would be the proper solution… So i won’t speculate…:slight_smile:
In the past I’ve found symbol lookup errors almost exclusively have been coding issues and not anything the User can do about without significant technical expertise and insight…

If they don’t work, I guess you can roll back again…

TSU

Before I got to that, TW 20190721 just got pushed, which includes updates to libqt5-qtwebengine, but the issue persisted.

Switching to the factory KDE packages does fix it, so it’s definitely a problem with those particular package versions.

Be sure to submit a bug to https://bugzilla.opensuse.org with your findings so that someone can look at your issues, including

  • Specific affected applications
  • Your application versions if possible
  • That your resolution was packages from the Factory repos.

TSU

It’s the freetype not libQt5WebEngineCore. Symbol FT_Palette_Select was introduced in version 2.10…
Check the version of freetype2.

Hello,

I have similar problem, same apps doesn’t work cause of:


flap@SFX:~> ksysguard
ksysguard: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libQt5WebEngineCore.so.5: undefined  
flap@SFX:~> kontact
kontact: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libQt5WebEngineCore.so.5: undefined sy
mbol: jpeg_crop_scanline, version LIBJPEG_8.0


forgot to add Im on 20200907

I found solution for my problem, I had old leap repository, that must have cause some conflicts, after removing that repo and distro upgrade all is fine.