libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol: FT_Done_MM_Var

Hello,
I have up-to-date Tumbleweed + KDE Plasma. I cannot start Libre Office.

I tried to start it from console, this is error I got:
/usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol: FT_Done_MM_Var

Thanks for help.

Two questions:

(1) How are you updating your system?

(2) What is the output from

zypper lr -d

and please use CODE tags to post the output. You can generate CODE tags by clicking the # icon in the editor header.

Hi, welcome

This looks like the result of not using ‘zypper dup’ for upgrading TW. Run it, and try again.

I run system update via yast/software manager/package/all packages/update if newer version available.

my repositories (LibreOffice:Factory was added after problems - I tried to upgrade LO to newest one):

‘zypper dup’ does nothing (result: ‘Nothing to do.’).

#  | Alias                                | Name                       | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                                 | Service
---+--------------------------------------+----------------------------+---------+-----------+---------+----------+--------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
 1 | download.opensuse.org-non-oss        | Main Repository (NON-OSS)  | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/non-oss/                               |        
 2 | download.opensuse.org-oss            | Main Repository (OSS)      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/                                   |        
 3 | download.opensuse.org-tumbleweed     | Main Update Repository     | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/tumbleweed/                                     |        
 4 | google-chrome                        | google-chrome              | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64                                 |        
 5 | http-download.opensuse.org-f6f7193e  | LibreOffice:Factory        | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/LibreOffice:/Factory/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/ |        
 6 | openSUSE-20190205-0                  | openSUSE-20190205-0        | No      | ----      | ----    |   99     | rpm-md | hd:/?device=/dev/disk/by-id/usb-Generic_Flash_Disk_4CBE7424-0:0-part1               |        
 7 | packman.inode.at-openSUSE_Tumbleweed | Packman Repository         | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/                                   |        
 8 | repo-debug                           | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Debug  | No      | ----      | ----    |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/tumbleweed/repo/oss/                             |        
 9 | repo-source                          | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Source | No      | ----      | ----    |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/source/tumbleweed/repo/oss/                            |        
10 | skype-stable                         | skype (stable)             | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | https://repo.skype.com/rpm/stable/                                                  |        

That won’t update properly for Tumbleweed. You need to regularly run “zypper dup”.

It seems, from your test with “zypper dup”, that you are okay at present. But that’s only because your system is recent (seems to be installed with 20190205).

I don’t much use LibreOffice. And I have not seen other reports of problems. But I’ll experiment.

The error you are seeing usually means a version incompatibility between that library and the program that called it. That should normally give conflict messages during update (with “zypper dup”).

You are using 5 | http-download.opensuse.org-f6f7193e | LibreOffice:Factory which fails. I use download.opensuse.org-oss | Main Repository (OSS) which always works. You may disable repo 5 and run zypper dup.

I made 2 changes to default instalation: set JAVA_HOME to old jdk1.8 in .profile and switched some system packages to Packman repository,

so I reverted these changes (packages from Packman to Main Repository (OSS) and deleted entry in .profile) and LibreOffice WORKS.

Thank you all for your time and help.