LG modile typical problem

i bought a new LG GB210 mobile only for surfing internet. i got a CD with it, which i installed in Windiws XP it worked fine. i was able to browse net from my PC using the modem as modem.
The settings for configuring the mobile modem in Windows is:
APN: aircelgprs
password:(blank)
username:(blank)
number: *99#

I istalled openSUSE 11.2 from a live CD of almost 700 MB. Everything worked fine.

When i connected my LG mobile with a datacable to the PC, it showed up in the bottom right of the screen. then i configured its setting according to my windows settings. But, it failed to get connected.

Then i tried using wvdial. i did wvdialconf and edited the conf file according to the above data, but how to leave the username and password filed BLANK??

Anyway, finally i was able to see “data dial” in my mobile screen, but the connection got disconnected giving errors 16, 15, 10, etc…

how to solve this problem??

often folks seem to write

username=user
password=pass

and that goes fine in wvdial;

I used wvdial for a ZTE MF636 modem; and it worked; whereas network manager was an “almost work”

Thanks for replying sir.

i tried what you said, but its not working.
It detects my phone modem nicely. When i configure it using “mobile broadband”, and tried to connect, it shows “preparing to connect” and then disconnects… and when i used wvdianconf and wvdial, i got a message “data dial” in my cell (which i didn’t got in the “mobile broadband”)… But the conncetion gets disconnected within 30-50 seconds giving errors like 16,15, 10…

i also tried the Ubuntu 9.10 live CD “mobile broadband” to connect, but same thing happened…

but it gets connected nicely in windows XP, though i have installed the driver from the CD provided by them…

Hoping you have a solution to this… Just because of accessing internet, i have to use Windiws XP.

INPORTANT: where to specify the APN given by the ISP (in wvdialconf)?? there are so many settings for configuration. But, when i called the ISP to get know the settings for getting Internet in the computer, they only gave four (4) values. that is, APN is “aircelgprs”, username and password should be blank and the number, that is *99#

Thanks

Output for wdialconf
------------------------------

linux-iu3h:/home/AMRIT # wvdialconf
Editing `/etc/wvdial.conf’.

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

Modem Port Scan<*1>: S0 S1 S2 S3 S4 S5 S6 S7
Modem Port Scan<*1>: ACM0 ACM1
WvModem<*1>: Cannot get information for serial port.
ttyACM2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 – OK
ttyACM2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z – OK
ttyACM2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 – OK
ttyACM2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 – OK
ttyACM2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 – OK
ttyACM2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 – OK
ttyACM2<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI – <LG Electronics>
ttyACM2<*1>: Speed 4800: AT – OK
ttyACM2<*1>: Speed 9600: AT – OK
ttyACM2<*1>: Speed 19200: AT – OK
ttyACM2<*1>: Speed 38400: AT – OK
ttyACM2<*1>: Speed 57600: AT – OK
ttyACM2<*1>: Speed 115200: AT – OK
ttyACM2<*1>: Speed 230400: AT – OK
ttyACM2<*1>: Speed 460800: AT – OK
ttyACM2<*1>: Max speed is 460800; that should be safe.
ttyACM2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 – OK

Found an USB modem on /dev/ttyACM2.
/etc/wvdial.conf<Warn>: Can’t open ‘/etc/wvdial.conf’ for reading: No such file or directory
/etc/wvdial.conf<Warn>: …starting with blank configuration.
Modem configuration written to /etc/wvdial.conf.
ttyACM2<Info>: Speed 460800; init “ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0”

SETTINGS FOR wvdial.conf
-------------------------------

[Dialer Defaults]
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = USB Modem
Phone = *99#
ISDN = 0
Username = user
Init1 = ATZ
Password = pass
Modem = /dev/ttyACM2
Baud = 460800

linux-iu3h:/home/AMRIT#wvdial
→ WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
→ Cannot get information for serial port.
→ Initializing modem.
→ Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
→ Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
→ Modem initialized.
→ Sending: ATDT99#
→ Waiting for carrier.
ATDT
99#
OK
CONNECT
~[7f]}#@!}!}5} }8}#}$@#}%}&},<eI}"}&} } } } }’}"}(}"}9f~~~
→ Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
~[7f]}#@!}!}6} }8}#}$@#}%}&},<eI}"}&} } } } }’}"}(}“St~
→ PPP negotiation detected.
→ Starting pppd at Sun Jan 3 19:48:08 2010
→ Pid of pppd: 6114
→ Using interface ppp0
→ pppd: ��[06][08]О[06][08]
→ Disconnecting at Sun Jan 3 19:48:10 2010
→ The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)
→ man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
→ Try again and look into /var/log/messages and the wvdial and pppd man pages for more information.
→ Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 5 seconds
→ Initializing modem.
ATZ
OK
OK
→ Modem initialized.
→ Initializing modem.
ATZ
OK
OK
→ Modem initialized.
→ Waiting for carrier.
ATDT
99#
CONNECT
~[7f]}#@!}!}>} }8}#}$@#}%}&},<eI}”}&} } } } }’}"}(}"_[1a]~~~~[7f]}#@!}!}?} }8}#}$@#}%}&},<eI}"}&} } } } }’}"}(}"[16]}3~
~[7f]}#@!}! } }8}#}$@#}%}&},<eI}"}&} } } } }’}"}(}"o4~
→ PPP negotiation detected.
→ Starting pppd at Sun Jan 3 19:48:17 2010
→ Pid of pppd: 6129
→ Using interface ppp0
→ Disconnecting at Sun Jan 3 19:48:48 2010
→ The PPP daemon has died: PPP negotiation failed (exit code = 10)
→ man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
→ I guess that’s it for now, exiting
→ The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 10)

Another Error:

linux-iu3h:/home/AMRIT # wvdial
→ WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
→ Initializing modem.
ATZ
OK
OK
→ Modem initialized.
→ Waiting for carrier.
ATDT
99#
CONNECT
~[7f]}#@!}!7} }8}#}$@#}%}&},<eI}"}&} } } } }’}"}(}";M~~~
→ Connected, but carrier signal lost! Retrying…
→ Waiting for carrier.
~[7f]}#@!}!8} }8}#}$@#}%}&},<eI}"}&} } } } }’}"}(}"{}&[7f]}#@!}!9} }8}#}$@#}%}&},<eI}"}&} } } } }’}"}(}"2[0f][7f]}#@!}!:} }8}#}$@#}%}&},<eI}"}&} } } } }’}"}(}“x}=[7f]}#@!}!;} }8}#}$@#}%}&},<eI}"}&} } } } }’}"}(}"1[14][7f]}#@!}!<} }8}#}$@#}%}&},<eI}”}&} } } } }’}"}(}"}1~~[7f]}#@!}!=} }8}#}$@#}%}&},<eI}"}&} } } } }’}"}(}“48~~[7f]}#@!}!>} }8}#}$@#}%}&},<eI}”}&} } } } }’}"}(}"}^
[7f]}#@!}!?} }8}#}$@#}%}&},<eI}"}&} } } } }’}"}(}"7#[7f]}#@!}!@} }8}#}$@#}%}&},<eI}"}&} } } } }’}"}(}"[1d]l~
NO CARRIER
→ No Carrier! Trying again.
→ Waiting for carrier.
ATDT
99#
ERROR
→ Invalid dial command.
→ Disconnecting at Sun Jan 3 19:58:31 2010

Did you try to set in Yast under **modem parameters **(opening details button) under ***regular expressions for the selection prefix *** the string:CGDCONT=1,IP,aircelgprs
where in "CGDCONT="1 the one stands for the data account setting memorized in your sim-card. So if you have other accounts of other providers (if you change sim card from time to time) and your aircelgprs account is the third, this would get: CGDCONT=3.
THis may well solve your problem.

thank you Stakanov for your reply.
i didnt understood what you said… First of all, i dont understand the Init1 Init2, Init3 values in the wvdial.conf file… and i use this sim card for only one provider…

thanks

For what I know, wvdial uses the Init 1, 2 and 3 parameters to prepare the modem. If you have the windows version working, either you use the yast init string under modems (copy paste) or you use the string that comes with the windows driver packet. Generally if you uncompress that driver package (with ark) you will find a file - I recall with ini extension- in which you should find the initialization string (this is init) to tell the modem correctly to prepare itself. You can uncompress it on your desktop and open it with an editor (i.e. Kate). Will look something similar like “AT&FE0V1X1&D2&C1S0=0”. If you find in the windows ini file of the driver this kind of string…this is your man.
In init 2 you write CGDCONF=1,IP,aircelgprs
You should not need anything else.

The init 1 is a string telling the modem AT (attention, I want to speak to you), then followed by a number of orders in Hayes format.
You find more information about the problem of init strings and Wvdial**HERE** and a list of available commands HERE.

Normally you do not need init 3.
Or you try as described, like the config file in Wikipedia and put init 3 the CGDCONF=1 etc… into init 3.
For me the AT string in init1 and the CGDCONF string in init=2 was enough.

If instead you want to have a complete understanding I am afraid you have to start reading a bit

thanks a lot for replying.

i used a different mobile(Sony Erricson Z550i), with the same SIM and i connected to the PC, openSUSE detected it… then i used “mobile broadband” GUI to set APN and number, leaving the username and password field blank… And with only this settings, i got connected!! i didn’t used the wvdial and all… Its amazing!! In fact, i am writing this reply using openSUSE!!

So, its confirmed that the settings and all are okay… the only thigh is i have problem with the LG Modem.

tell me where i can get its driver for openSUSE, and how to install it…

anyway, again i am thinking that, while making a new mobile broadband connection, it clearly shows the exact name of my LG Phone and Mode, then why do i need to install a device driver? because it is recognising it…

i am totally confused…

thanks anyway. what should i do next???

Both modem however seem extremely unfitting for surfing. None has EDGE and no 3G.
The Ericsson has a triple band and the LG only dual band.
If both are connected to the pc and the SE is recognized and the LG too, but does not dial, I would expect a problem not with the driver but with the phone.
Still sometimes it is possible that some models make trouble. Technically the SE should be faster than the LG and has more choice in band (GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900) and Gprs (Data GPRS Class 10 (4+1/3+2 slots), 32 - 48 kbps). The LG (GSM 900 / 1800), Gprs is apparently offered.
a) control if the LG is simlocked or not
b) control in the phones menue if the LG is setted correctly for outgoing data account with your provider (if not copy the values from the SE by hand)
c) have a look if in the phone there is not memorized a supplemental data account from the previous phone vendor (was the phone sponsored by another provider?) Then CGDCONT will change.