I’m a new opensuse user, and I’ve got a lexmark z517 colour printer, that works correctly on my ubuntu, but it was a tough job to make it work on opensuse, because of the rarely support of this printer, but I found some howto-s, and with a little correction, I managed to install the driver, I share my solution to help people with this printer. This is it:
How to install Lexmark Z517 printer on openSuse 11.1
The driver for lexmark z600 should be good for z517 also, so I searched for driver for z600.
I found a little manual at The Lexmark Z605 printer and SuSE 9.3, a little HOWTO, but it didn’t work with my system. So we need a little makeup.
Before you enter the method, you should install libstdc++ from the package manager, because the printer driver will miss it.
Then you can start it:
Download the rpm2targz utility to your home directory, open a console and unpack it:
- Install it as root:
(maybe you get some errors, but don’t mind it)
- Download the Lexmark Z600 driver in for example a lexmark directory in your home folder.
- cd into your lexmark folder
- su to root and unpack the driver package:
tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz
- Extract the actual driver:
tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz
- Untar install.tar.gz you just created:
tar -xvzf install.tar.gz
- Convert the RPM’s you just created to tarballs:
- Untar the two tarballs:
tar -xvzf z600cups-1.0-1.i386.tar.gz -C /
tar -xvzf z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.tar.gz -C /
- Run ldconfig:
- cd to the backend directory and try out the printer:
- Under SuSE 9.3 the output should be:
direct z600:/dev/usb/lp0 “Lexmark Lexmark Z600 Series” “Lexmark Printer”
If you are ready, connect the printer via USB, then open the printer manager, maybe you find it in System/Hardware or something.