Let's Use Bing

I think all Linux users should use Bing to search for Linux-related things. So when Microsoft goes to see what the top searches are, let them see “Linux” or “Ubuntu” or “Red Hat” or “MySQL” or anything else FOSS related!

> I think all Linux users should use 'Bing ’
> (http://www.bing.com/)to search for Linux-related things. So when
> Microsoft goes to see what the top searches are, let them see “Linux” or
> “Ubuntu” or “Red Hat” or “MySQL” or anything else FOSS related!

And it works in no way like Google. </sarcasm>

On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 19:56 +0000, dragonbite wrote:
> I think all Linux users should use 'Bing ’
> (http://www.bing.com/)to search for Linux-related things. So when
> Microsoft goes to see what the top searches are, let them see “Linux” or
> “Ubuntu” or “Red Hat” or “MySQL” or anything else FOSS related!
>
>

Agreed. However, I must warn you that Microsoft has patents that may
apply to searches involving the word “Linux”. With that said, there is
a URL somewhere at Microsoft that will show you how to obtain (for a
fee) the right to search for Linux and be protected… just fyi.

I am interested to know what M$ is using in the place of Google’s GFS to store vast amount of information. I’m sure Winod$ and its existing file systems are not capable of doing that.

Maybe they have a secret and they use other OS for that than their own, i wouldn’t be surprised:)

That was really the case with hotmail for quite a few initial years after the take over.

Well it seems to know what opensuse is :wink:

Is it alternative for Live search.I think, M$ don’t know now what they are doing.
Results from bing for openSUSE 11.2 M2:

1-9 of 750 results

Google:

Results 1 - 10 of about 5,040 for opensuse 11.2 M2. (0.25 seconds)

Search for their own stuff and see :wink:
Search for: windows 7
Bing: 392 million.
Google: 627 million.

Making comparisons of Google and Bing based on number of results isn’t exactly a good comparison since the algorithms involved between the two engines are completely different; they look for different things, and count results differently.

A better comparison would be the relevancy of the results to the query. In my personal experience (ymmv), they are about equal in this regard. That said, some of the features of Bing, such as showing previews of websites and videos, I find extremely useful.

Install Xmarks add on in mozilla firefox and you will get previews there also. In addition Xmarks tells you what sites among the search results are most preferrd by the users. When I saw the preview feature in bing, I knew from where have M$ have stolen the idea :wink:

I agree that they use different approaches, try search for this keyword “soilcentralab” without quotes. I want it give me the address like: www.soilcentralab.net
Bing has two results for it, nothing near to the exact word.

Install Xmarks add on in mozilla firefox and you will get previews there also. In addition Xmarks tells you what sites among the search results are most preferrd by the users. When I saw the preview feature in bing, I knew from where have M$ have stolen the idea

Exactly…