Lenovo Edge OpenSuse 11.3 - a love hate story

Hi all,

When I first installed opensuse 11.3 everything was great. Everything just worked out of the box and I was very happy (well maybe the power consumption was a bit high but I could live with that)

It then became a bumpy ride, function keys worked on and off, power management did crazy things, resuming from sleep crashed the computer, and now after trying to solve these problems I think I broke my graphics card driver since I can not enable 3d effects.

So I was thinking with so many problems maybe it would be a good idea to start over…

What would be the best way to re-run the installation program? It really did a good job in setting everything up correctly.
Is there a way to go back to the original settings of the systems without erasing the other software I have installed? (I have a seperae home partition and a seperate partition for the virtual windows I’m running, but I have some thrid part software installed (like matlab and stuff) in my root partition)

Thanks for your Help,
Ran

Hi all,

When I first installed opensuse 11.3 everything was great. Everything just worked out of the box and I was very happy (well maybe the power consumption was a bit high but I could live with that)

It then became a bumpy ride, function keys worked on and off, power management did crazy things, resuming from sleep crashed the computer, and now after trying to solve these problems I think I broke my graphics card driver since I can not enable 3d effects.

So I was thinking with so many problems maybe it would be a good idea to start over…

What would be the best way to re-run the installation program? It really did a good job in setting everything up correctly.
Is there a way to go back to the original settings of the systems without erasing the other software I have installed? (I have a separate home partition and a separate partition for the virtual windows I’m running, but I have some thrid part software installed (like matlab and stuff) in my root partition)

Thanks for your Help,
Ran
If you created a separate /home area, reinstalling and not losing your settings can be done. Since openSUSE does not want to mess up any previous installs, you would need to abandon its suggested setup and do a manual partitioning where you elected to reuse, the SWAP & / openSUSE partitions, including a reformat, but reusing the /home area, but not formatting it. When you edit an existing partition and select the mount points of SWAP, / & /home, the space will get reused and only formatted if you allow. For a new install, the main partition / must be reformatted.

Another thing to consider if you have the Intel Graphics adapter, newer kernels have better graphic support. A kernel update to 2.6.37 might just be the ticket to a better working system. Only thing, it has to be stable to compile a new kernel, or the new kernel will never work which means you may need to reinstall first, depending on just how bad it may be right now. I have a script file you can use to install a new kernel, but you have to have a stable system first. Just ask and I will point you in the right direction.

Thank You,

Hey James,

Sorry for the late reply. I did not check the forums for a few days.

Thanks for your suggestions. I updated to 2.6.36 from the stable kernel repository and that fixed the 3D effects (no OpenGL for the composition type though).
I have an AMD grapihc card so the better support for intel won’t do me any good … :slight_smile:

Anyway the computer is working reasonably well now. No hot keys and I suspect the connection between the acpi driver and the power management applet is not well because changes from battery to AC are not shown in the applet and are shown by acpi (I don’t even know if they are supposed to be connected…)
I think I’ll wait until 11.4 and then try to do a clean install as you suggested, formatting / and leaving /home untouched. I’ll update when I have the results.

BTW I have a few programs installed on /opt. If I move /opt to a different partition (or logical volume) but mount it at the same point will that make a difference to the programs installed? Will they still work as before?

Thanks,
Ran

With 2.6.36 kernel, is there any sign of *thinkpad_acpi * kernel module being loaded? You can check with the command (normal user):

lsmod | grep thinkpad

Since I installed 2.6.36, thinkpad_acpi is now loaded for my ThinkPad SL510. Some extra keys now work, but not all. Running sensors now provides more info, including fan speed.

BTW I have a few programs installed on /opt. If I move /opt to a different partition (or logical volume) but mount it at the same point will that make a difference to the programs installed? Will they still work as before?

I believe that should work, i.e. keep the same mount point of /opt. Put it in /etc/fstab.

I think thinkpad_acpi is loaded now (unlike in 2.6.34) but with some errors. Hotkeys and power management do not work. Here is the output of lsmod and the relevent content of boot.omsg:

reut:/home/ranr # lsmod | grep thinkpad
thinkpad_acpi          79217  0 
rfkill                 21843  4 bluetooth,thinkpad_acpi,cfg80211
snd                    83579  15 snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,thinkpad_acpi,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_timer
reut:/home/ranr # cat /var/log/boot.omsg | grep -i thinkpad_acpi
<6>   13.944884] thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad ACPI Extras v0.24
<6>   13.944888] thinkpad_acpi: http://ibm-acpi.sf.net/
<6>   13.944891] thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad BIOS 80ET29WW (1.06 ), EC 80HT22WW-1.166000
<6>   13.944894] thinkpad_acpi: Lenovo ThinkPad Edge, model 03017TG
<6>   13.945254] thinkpad_acpi: detected a 8-level brightness capable ThinkPad
<6>   13.945614] thinkpad_acpi: radio switch found; radios are enabled
<6>   13.945623] thinkpad_acpi: possible tablet mode switch found; ThinkPad in laptop mode
<5>   13.946818] thinkpad_acpi: asked for hotkey mask 0x04018070, but firmware forced it to 0x00018070
<5>   13.946869] thinkpad_acpi: setting the hotkey mask to 0x00ffffff is likely not the best way to go about it
<5>   13.946871] thinkpad_acpi: please consider using the driver defaults, and refer to up-to-date thinkpad-acpi documentation
<6>   13.961262] thinkpad_acpi: rfkill switch tpacpi_bluetooth_sw: radio is unblocked
<6>   13.973447] thinkpad_acpi: Standard ACPI backlight interface available, not loading native one.
<6>   13.973539] thinkpad_acpi: Console audio control enabled, mode: monitor (read only)
<6>   13.976203] input: ThinkPad Extra Buttons as /devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/input/input9

Yes, your thinkpad_acpi is loaded and with the same startup messages as for my SL510, but with different values for switches and hotkey mask.

“Hotkeys”? Are those the “Fn” key in combination with other keys, e.g. Fn+Delete/Home to change display brightness? If so, not all those key combos are considered to be “keys to access special ThinkPad features” in my Lenovo documentation. Some are standard k/b features (on a standalone k/b), on mine e.g. Fn+Insert for PrtSc, and Fn+F9/10/11 (ScrLk/NumLk/Pause).

What function(s) of “power management” isn’t working for you?

In the Edge models things are a bit different. the Fn key is used to activate the F1-F12 keys (For example to go to tty1 I need to press Ctr+Alt+Fn+F1)
(Isn’t it creazy to do these stupid changes for every model? It’s like they don’t have anything better to do…)

If I don’t press the Fn key the F keys should do the following (from F1 to F12):
Mute, Vol down, Vol up, Mute Mic, Turn off webcam, unknown, Screen brightness down, Screen brightness up, Wireless, rewind, play/pause, forward.

At the beginning the most important ones worked OOTB (Mute, Volume, Screen)
Now none of them works…

As to power management the KDE applet does not recognize AC power plug in and out, does not automatically goes to sleep (even though it is defined to do so) and resuming from sleep/hibernation is buggy and usually hangs the computer.

I think these are all “Power Management” issues, no?

On SL510, Mute, Vol down, Vol up, and Mute Mic, are special buttons on left beside the k/b. They all worked OOTB. This model is targeted at multimedia and small/home businesses, so it has media transport keys as Fn+three cursor movement keys. They work with Kaffeine, but not OOTB with VLC (would need setting up).

Have you seen this from ThinkWiki? How to get special keys to work. At least you might get some clues from that on what’s involved, and where the differences are.

As to power management the KDE applet does not recognize AC power plug in and out, does not automatically goes to sleep (even though it is defined to do so) and resuming from sleep/hibernation is buggy and usually hangs the computer.

Yes, I have similar issues with KDE and AC power status in and out, but command acpi -V (as normal user) gives the right status, so it’s probably a KDE problem.

Mine, with Fn+F4, DE, or commandline to suspend (to RAM), puts m/c into a deep sleep from which it cannot be woken without power-off reboot. Suspect it needs a BIOS fix as a more recently shipped m/c apparently works. However yours may be different. Hibernation worked OOTB even with standard 11.3 kernel.

After reading it I know I will never understand how special keys work… :slight_smile:
It is way over my level of understanding.

Yes, I have similar issues with KDE and AC power status in and out, but command acpi -V (as normal user) gives the right status, so it’s probably a KDE problem.

Same here. Digging a little on the KDE forums, I found out that apparently they are moving from using HAL-power to upower for the backend of the power applet. Maybe it’s a transition period thing and KDE 4.6 will be better.

Sorry about that, it does look a bit of a brain strainer. :slight_smile: I put it to one side to read later, later, and later…

Same here. Digging a little on the KDE forums, I found out that apparently they are moving from using HAL-power to upower for the backend of the power applet. Maybe it’s a transition period thing and KDE 4.6 will be better.

An interesting find. I suspect “upower” is the transition from HAL to udev. Let’s hope they transition in time for 11.4.

The AC power bug might not be a KDE issue. I ran a session of Linux Mint 10 from a USB stick (with Gnome) and had the same issues there (No fn keys and no AC plug in/out detection).

Maybe its a BIOS problem… Now I’m not optimistic about 11.4…

R.

If it was a BIOS problem, I would have thought the relevant acpi module would also be affected and acpi -V would show it. I am going to take another look at 11.3 Gnome here, and report back.

In another ongoing thread, pm-hibernate works from single user (runlevel 3) console, but not in runlevel 5 with X & KDE 4.5.x loaded, although with KDE 4.4.4 it worked. Hmm, that may not be KDE and could be graphics driver problem. Hibernate works for me on 4.4.4 and 4.5.4 (IIRC).

BTW, no Fn keys is an issue for thinkpad_acpi to support them.

Rechecked my standard 11.3 Gnome system, and power management functions properly here, including AC plug in/out. I checked with the Power Statistics applet and it correctly reported the transition from AC power to/from battery. The DE also notified me on AC plug out/battery discharging.

With Gnome and ACPI on KDE system working, but incorrect reporting by KDE (sysinfo), that strongly suggests to me that KDE power management is broken on 11.3.

All problems solved by themselves (After a few days using the KDE 4.6 repository)
I guess the latest KDE update fixed it…

R.

That confirms it and thank you for letting us know that. Enjoy 11.4 with KDE 4.6 when it arrives in March. :slight_smile:

Alas! After a few days of Fn keys bliss, and power management heaven my Lenovo Edge has returned to it’s previous sad condition…

No Fn keys and AC power is not detected by KDE…

Maybe a fresh 11.4 install will help…

Well now its “Lenovo Edge OpenSuse 11.4 - a love hate story”

Did a fresh install of 11.4 with no luck. No power menegment and no fn keys.

I discovered the command

upower -d

and it seems that the the status of the AC power is never updated.

Digging a little bit I noticed that this is not a new problem. I found many refs to the same symptoms (in many different laptops) in Ubuntu forums… In all the discussions I read everybody says its not their problem. (Udev developers blame the kernel, the kernel developers blame KDE, KDE developers blame… Well you get the picture)

This is very frustrating…
Who do you guys think should handle it.

I know I have no right to ask for my problem to be fixed by someone else, but I simply don’t have the knowledge to even start and find out what is wrong…

Anyone else has the same symptoms?

On 03/12/2011 05:06 PM, ranr01 wrote:
>
> Well now its “Lenovo Edge OpenSuse 11.4 - a love hate story”

> Who do you guys think should handle it.

have you asked Lenovo what linux kernel is best to use with that
model? or if they have offered the kernel hackers the info needed to
develop good power management for that machine? (i bet they told MS
all they wanted to know!)

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11

have you asked Lenovo what linux kernel is best to use with that
model? or if they have offered the kernel hackers the info needed to
develop good power management for that machine? (i bet they told MS
all they wanted to know!)

Well I’m sure they WROTE the power management for Windows…

Next laptop will definitely be from a more linux friendly company, since Lenovo dropped all their linux support.

I just hope there will be a linux friendly company by the time I need to buy my next laptop…

On 03/12/2011 08:36 PM, ranr01 wrote:
>
> I just hope there will be a linux friendly company by the time I need
> to buy my next laptop…
>

here are a few, there are others:

http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html
http://system76.com/
http://www.emperorlinux.com/
http://www.shuttle.eu/products/complete-systems/ [and search on ‘linux’]

and, both DELL and HP often have something WELL hidden on their sites…

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11