LEAP 42.3 dkms-nvidia

Hi, I’ve installed the NVIDIA divers from their website, after blocking drm-kmp-default . This was really less than ideal due to future kernel upgrades. I now see that there is a dkms-nvidia pkg/repo for Leap 42.3. Should this be as simple as installing it to get automatic driver updates? Or, I wonder what IS involved? (Easy Way vs Hard Way) Thanks In Advance…

Hi and welcome to the openSUSE Forums!
Generally speaking, installing dkms-nvidia (plus possibly some matching packages like x11-video-nvidia) is pretty straightforward and the package takes care of rebuilding the drivers at every new kernel update.
But please take care which dkms-nvidia from which repo you choose: for an “Optimus” laptop like mine I use those from the Bumblebee project (see http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Bumblebee-Project:/nVidia:/ ) but AFAIK that is not suitable for a desktop or workstation.
And those packages download a specific version of the Nvidia .run source file, so they rebuild the driver for the new kernel but don’t update the driver itself, unless you update the dkms-nvidia package and its siblings beforehand.
More details about your HW might help in getting more specific help.

@OrsoBruno

thanx! this is a desktop with a gtx 1080. So dkms-nvidia should take care of dependencies? Cool.with limited flexibility in driver selection?

No, sorry, it’s not that simple. It’s usually the other way round, with e.g. x11-video-nvidia taking care of dependencies, including dkms-nvidia, but if you have a desktop with only the Nvidia GPU you CANNOT install x11-video-nvidia from the Bumblebee Project which is intended for Optimus laptops.
So please review what you actually need.
If you plan to stick with the stock Leap 42.3 kernel (4.4.x) you don’t need to worry about driver updates if you installed x11-video-nvidiaG04-384.59-22.1.x86_64.rpm and matching packages from the Nvidia repo: nvidia-gfxG04-kmp-default-384.59_k4.4.76_1-22.1.x86_64.rpm should remain compatible with all kernel updates for the life of 42.3.
If you plan on using custom kernels, or kernels from the Kernel:stable repo for instance, I’m afraid that the only route is installing the Nvidia drivers “the hard way” and manually updating drivers on every major kernel update.
Even if dkms and dkms-nvidia (from the Bumblebee project) would help updating the Nvidia kernel modules to some extent, you are left with no way to install and update the x11 part other than “the hard way” AFAIK.

Maybe other members with more experience on desktops/workstations might be able to suggest alternatives, but this is all that I can offer at the moment, sorry.

Thanks for clarifying. I guess it will be the hard way. :slight_smile: Really not very hard at all though.

[QUOTE=OrsoBruno;2831688]No, sorry, it’s not that simple. It’s usually the other way round, with e.g. x11-video-nvidia taking care of dependencies, including dkms-nvidia, but if you have a desktop with only the Nvidia GPU you CANNOT install x11-video-nvidia from the Bumblebee Project which is intended for Optimus laptops.
So please review what you actually need.
If you plan to stick with the stock Leap 42.3 kernel (4.4.x) you don’t need to worry about driver updates if you installed x11-video-nvidiaG04-384.59-22.1.x86_64.rpm and matching packages from the Nvidia repo: nvidia-gfxG04-kmp-default-384.59_k4.4.76_1-22.1.x86_64.rpm should remain compatible with all kernel updates for the life of 42.3.
If you plan on using custom kernels, or kernels from the Kernel:stable repo for instance, I’m afraid that the only route is installing the Nvidia drivers “the hard way” and manually updating drivers on every major kernel update.
Even if dkms and dkms-nvidia (from the Bumblebee project) would help updating the Nvidia kernel modules to some extent, you are left with no way to install and update the x11 part other than “the hard way” AFAIK.