LEAP 15.2 overwrites my custom keyboard configuration.

Hello, I am new to openSUSE and thus to this forum. Sorry if the post was not meant to be in this section but it looked like the most suitable one.

I recently installed openSUSE LEAP 15.2
I changed my keyboard configuration customising the file

/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/es

For instance I have

default  partial alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "basic" {

include "latin(type4)"

name[Group1]="Spanish";

include "level3(ralt_switch)"

… ( several customised keys with no problem)

key <AE08> {   8,               parentleft,         parentleft,             lessthanequal       ] }; // 8 ( ( ≤
    key <AE09> {   9,               parentright,        parentright,            greaterthenequal    ] }; // 9 ) ) ≥

… rest of the file.

In order to avoid conflict, I changed all the variations of the keyboard, so that they only include the basic layout i.e.

partial alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "cat" {

include "es(basic)"

name[Group1]="Catalan (Spain, with middle-dot L)";
};

However, when I click [AltGr + key <AE08>] I get a “bracketleft” instead of a “parentleft”
This happens with a few keys, but the vast majority are correctly set up (and some of them really custom). I have detected [AltGr + key <AE08>], [AltGr + key <AE09>], and [AltGr + SHIFT + key <AE03>] but there may be more.

I am guessing something is overwriting my configuration but I am unable to find what. BTW, I have never understood why keyboard configuration is always such a mess with multiples files and sections competing with each other.

I have checked the “Keyboard - System Settings Module” and there is nothing there but the es Spanish layout without shortcuts or special features. I even deleted this layout from the System Settings Module trying to make LEAP only to read the file in …/symbols/

Any help would be welcomed.
Thanks

You tinkered with /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/es being owned by a package. You should not do this. For a more canonical way see: Xorg/Keyboard configuration - ArchWiki

Thanks, I need a bit of time to process this and try to load my custom file in my home/.xkb. I got the idea, but at first read I still do not know how to add my symbols file to the xkb configuration. When I have the time I will read it again more carefully.

Thanks for the feedback. Keyboard configuration is complex. GUIs may make their own changes! But the mess only starts when being unfamiliar with the basic concepts and tinkering by trial and error. You may start by creating another user and test changes on the user level first.

A general rule of thumb is that any files in /usr/ will be overwritten by updates.
Is why you shouldn’t make direct edits to file, if you do so you should make backups.

When available,
apps are often written so that additional configuration files are available that can be customized, most often in /etc/

Recommendations are

• The locale of a system often can set display and I/O
  • The documentation (maybe start with MAN pages) for what you’re doing can suggest a working solution.

TSU