Leap 15.1 Suggested Partitioning

Hello, I am installing Leap 15.1 from scratch onto a system with an 850 GB disk. I want to use ext4 partitions only, and Leap 15.1 suggests 76.47 GiB for /,
500 MiB for /system/efi, and 172.94 GiB for /home. As far as I can see, I am ‘missing’ about 600 GiB, has anybody a suggestion what ‘to do with them’? My backup of /home is approximately 150 GiB, but there is more GiBsto come, should I (e.g.) introduce specific partitions for specific applications?

Suggestions are welcome!

Jan Christian

Ultimately, it is your computer and your decision.

I use “ext4”. I normally assign 50G to the root partition, just to have plenty to spare. But that depends on what you expect to install.

If I had your problem, and just otherwise guessing on usage, I would go with:

500M for the EFI partition (which normally mounts at “/boot/efi”);
50G for the root partition (mounts at “/”)
Maybe 10G for swap – but I am just guessing because I don’t know how much memory you have. If you ever expect to hibernate, the swap needs to be as big as your memory size. If memory size is small, make swap twice the memory size. If you don’t expect to hibernate and have lots of memory, then maybe you don’t need swap.

The rest of the disk for the home partition (mounted at “/home”).

Note that the EFI partition use FAT32, but the installer should take care of that once you tell it that this is for EFI partition.

I hope that helps.

Is this a clean disk? ie no other os installed or old partitions on it?

72 gig is excessive for ext4 (I use about 30). BTRFS is the default so it probably use that as a fist pass suggestion due to BTRFS using snapper. (rollback)

In any case you are fully in control of the install and can use anything you like including remove old partition. Just go to expert mode and you can set any size/usage

Please stop using upper chars. It’s considered shouting, and my bet is you don’t want to shout.

I would simply, by means of the “expert Partitioner”, increase the size of the “/home” partition to use the rest of the available disk space …

• Caveats:
    [LIST]
  • Really no Swap partition? – Read this before deciding to do without it: <https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/reference/html/book.opensuse.reference/cha-expert-partitioner.html#sec-expert-partitioner-info-swap&gt;.
  • Yes, on a single disk system, you can get away with not having separate “/tmp” and “/var” and “/srv” partitions, and therefore, I would tend to allocate about 60 GiB to 80 GiB to the “root” partition «“/”» to allow for any heavy “/tmp” and “/var” usage which may, or may not, occur …
  • On systems with multiple drives, I tend to use about 4 GiB for “/tmp”, 20 GiB for “/var” and, 40 GiB upwards «depends on what’s going on» for “/srv” …
  • On this multiple drive system – separate “/tmp”, “/var”, “/srv” and “/home” partitions – the system root “/” partition has about 23 GiB space used …

[/LIST]

I made the blunder of not releasing the USB backup disk when starting the upgrade from 15.0 to 15.1, so I have to do an installation from scratch (no option for installation after that blunder). The default partitioning did not leave enough space for my /home partition; disk size is 500 GiB. I have 3 backups of my 15.0 /home directory, so in theory I should be fine when deleting parts of /home.

Thanks for your feedback!
Jan Christian

I have 8 GiB ram easily upgraded to 16 GiB, so I will stay without the /swap partition for the time being (it may be possible upgrading to 32 GiB).
Your comment about single disk systems is most appreciated, it was exactly what I was looking for.

However, I have an additional question: Does it make sense having Btrfs as file system for the root partition, or should I switch to ext4 for that partition too?

Jan Christian

FYI and explaining my own post: I changed the subject’s capitalization.

Yes, it does. I watched btrfs for several years and finally switched / to btrsfs and I still use ext4 at /home:

erlangen:~ # df -h / /home
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb5        60G  9.6G   50G  17% /
/dev/nvme0n1p3  407G  241G  165G  60% /home
erlangen:~ # 

As a rule of thumb double the space compared to ext4.

Ich danke vielmals (i.e. thanks a lot)!

Jan Christian

A Btrfs system partition – possibly.

• If a server system or, a Laptop, it makes sense to use Btrfs for the system partition – the snapshots allow fast system recovery, back to a working version, in the case of any patch and/or update misbehaviours …
  • I’ve included the Laptop case because, if you’re “on the road” and, for whatever reason, patches and/or updates happen during that time – with unexpected misbehaviour – then, you can roll-back to a working version until such time as, “you return to base” …
  • If a non-critical Desktop system or, an embedded system, the maintenance needed by Btrfs partitions – “balance” and “scrub” – may cause more annoyance than what it’s worth – therefore, for this case, a system partition with ext4.
  • AFAICS, Btrfs doesn’t make much sense for separate “/tmp”, “/var” and “/srv” partitions – they mostly contain volatile data and therefore …
  • Separate “/home” partition: ext4 or XFS, that’s the question … AFAICS, it’s a matter of personal taste and/or choice.