Leading distributions use designer desktop environments?

Is it me, or do the more popular Linux distributions seem to foster an association with their “signature” (or default) desktop environments?

This doesn’t mean other environemtns are not allowed, just that there is a tighter association between the distribution and one particular desktop environment and this works both ways.

Thinking of one particular desktop environment, likewise, often brings one distribution to mind over others (all things being equal).

For example

• Fedora and Gnome (Gnome-shell or Gnome3)
  • openSUSE and KDE
  • Ubuntu and Unity
  • Mint and Cinnamon

Notably, as of today (31-Jan-2012) these 4 distributions are also the top 4 for all of the tracked time periods on DistroWatch. I know there is no scientific or quantifiable measure in this, but it seems the lead distributions have their own “pet environments”.

no, it is not just you :wink: I also think in this way. But in my case, Mint is still Gnome 2 with a green desktop wallpaper :smiley: And Mandriva…errrm Mageia is also KDE but with such a “blue-ish” touch, somehow.

I also do associations between the distro and it´s main color. So,

• openSUSE is green (but I know that it was also blue in version 10)

• Fedora has an advanced wallpaper with a lot of blue

• Mint is green too, although the last versions had a white/silverish touch

• Ubuntu is pink (it also was brown/orange for me for a while), but Kubuntu for example is also blue for me

• Mageia is blue/grey

• openSUSE = Green and white
  • Fedora = Black and blue
  • Mint = Light (Mint) green and silver/gray
  • Ubuntu = purple and black

Hey… just noticed that Fedora and Ubuntu both are the colors of somebody who has been beaten up!

Hey… just noticed that Fedora and Ubuntu both are the colors of somebody who has been beaten up!

On that basis, openSUSE and Mint are the colours of somebody who is seasick or extremely unwell! :smiley:

You beat me at this one :D. openSUSEasick …

On topic: funny thing is that I spoke to one of the dutch KDE community “leaders” today, and these people have the impression that openSUSE’s focus is on GNOME shell…Same goes for Ubuntu users who didn’t like Unity, switched to openSUSE 11.4, moved on to 12.1 and now are murmering about GNOME 3 being to much of a Unity thing. Another thing is that there is no document to be found which says that KDE is the preferred desktop on openSUSE, there are though that say that both KDE and GNOME should be supported equally. Don’t know where all these impressions come from (except openSUSE-KDE, if you just click on during install you end up with KDE)

:beat-up:

:sick:

openSeaSUSE!?

Maybe it’s an America thing?

SUSE was predominantly a KDE distro until they were bought by Novell. I don’t even know if a Gnome version was offered before. On theDVD, though, I think KDE is the pre-selected desktop environment. Somewhere in the forum there should be one or more polls asking forum readers “what desktop environment do you use?

Between the different forums, I see when people are talking about “which distro to use for KDE”, openSUSE comes up most of the time, with Mandriva (or whomever) coming up sometimes and then Kubuntu, Fedora and others come up sporatically.

Ubuntu (or Canonical) and Gnome and Fedora were having this spat right before Unity came out, which seemed to be like a “if you’re not going to let us play, we’re going to make our own ball

I now openSUSE seems to be more into Gnome than the likes of Fedora or Ubuntu is with KDE.

A LOT of this is all subjective from what I’ve read in the forums, blogs, etc.

The image of being a KDE distro is maybe also because of the level of integration of KDE into the system. And in terms of KDE-polish, as we know, openSUSE is one of the best distros.

I also read that Suse in the former times was KDE-only. The first version where Gnome was available also, was 10.3

On 01/31/2012 09:36 PM, Knurpht wrote:
> Don’t know where all these impressions come from

mostly ignorance and rumor echoing same as fact…

i read on facebook that openSUSE is focused on Gnome 3 and it is worse
than Unity . . .

so, it must be FACT!

DD
Read what Distro Watch writes: http://tinyurl.com/SUSEonDW

I think your version wins the “innovation” category. :slight_smile:

On topic: funny thing is that I spoke to one of the dutch KDE community “leaders” today, and these people have the impression that openSUSE’s focus is on GNOME shell…

Possibly because 11.4’s Gnome2 desktop saw a step up in presentation (aka eye candy). That may have been inspired by the incremental improvements in “KDE4-polish”. Nothing like a bit of healthy competition, eh? That step up may have encouraged some of those migrating Ubuntu users. I see it as an ongoing advantage for openSUSE users to have the choice of two mainstream desktops supported on the same website infrastructure. KDE just happens to be a default setting, and probably the logical choice for new users coming from Windows.