LDAP client configuration

Hi

I am trying to configure Active Directory authentication to SUSE 11.2 sever, but somehow we are not able to succeed. in warn file logs are showing error message “nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server - Server is unavailable”… and I am able to do the ldapsearch from SUSE server with same user.

I used yast to configure LDAP client… does anyone has any idea why we getting this?

below lines are from messages file…

Apr 6 07:35:26 suselx01 sshd[13631]: Invalid user <user name> from 14.x.x.x
Apr 6 07:35:28 suselx01 sshd[13633]: pam_ldap: ldap_search_s Operations error
Apr 6 07:35:28 suselx01 sshd[13631]: error: PAM: User not known to the underlying authentication module for illegal user <user name> from 14.x.x.x
Apr 6 07:35:28 suselx01 sshd[13631]: Failed keyboard-interactive/pam for invalid user <user name> from 14.x.x.x port 61072 ssh2
Apr 6 07:35:39 suselx01 sshd[13637]: Accepted keyboard-interactive/pam for root from 14.x.x.x port 61073 ssh2
Apr 6 07:37:20 suselx01 sshd[13635]: pam_unix2(sshd:auth): conversation failed
Apr 6 07:37:20 suselx01 sshd[13635]: pam_ldap: ldap_search_s Operations error
Apr 6 07:37:20 suselx01 sshd[13635]: error: ssh_msg_send: write

When you mean with “SUSE 11.2 sever” that you use openSUSE 11.2, then you have a very old version which is out of support for a long time and I assume almost nobody here has running it anymore. Thus no first hand answers available.

When you with “SUSE 11.2 sever” mean SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 11 with service pack 2, then you are at the wrong forums. These are the openSUSE forums. The SLES/SLED forums are at https://forums.suse.com/forum.php. Same username and password as here.

On 04/09/2014 06:56 AM, madhum210 wrote:
>
> I am trying to configure Active Directory authentication to SUSE 11.2
> sever, but somehow we are not able to succeed. in warn file logs are
> showing error message “nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server - Server
> is unavailable”… and I am able to do the ldapsearch from SUSE server
> with same user.

If by SUSE 11.2 you mean SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 11 SP2 you
should probably post on https://forums.suse.com/ instead in order to get
the best response. openSUSE 11.2 is old and has been EoL for years.

Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

Welcome to the forums. Just assuming you are using openSUSE 11.2, the first thing you need to do is upgrade. Just over a year ago Samba 4 came out with full Active Directory support. So you would be better off upgrading to 13.1 where you will probably find some well commented files explaining how to do everything.

Thanks Guys…

yah this box is too old and we cannot change anything becaz of apps dependency… I am not Linux admin… but asked me to configure … I am trying to figure out.

You will get plenty of results if you Google ‘ldap active directory,’ for example, http://www.netid.washington.edu/documentation/ldapAuth.aspx, from which you should be able to get help installing older versions.

Have you looked at the openSUSE config files that you have? These are usually very well commented.

Now does this ,ean that this is about openSUSE 11.2? When people c;early ask for more precise information, can you then give it. Just telling that the hardware box is old, does not provide much information. And when you do not know what you have, can you then please post the output of

cat /etc/SuSE-release

Just a bit off-topic just out of curiosity what is the output of

lsb-release -rs

and

awk -F\" '/VERSION_ID/ {print $2}' /etc/os-release

Since it is an old system I’m just wondering if the factiod in #suse applies to that release, it is something like this.

if command -v lsb-release >/dev/null; then lsb-release -rs; else awk -F\" '/VERSION_ID/ {print $2}' /etc/os-release; fi

It is also useful since i might do some thing that is needed to store the release version into a variable for that old Suse box. :wink: