Latest NVidia driver for GeForce 980 ?

Around one week away to finally finish the build of my new pc. I have a GeForce 980, I read 3 ways to install teh driver, the easy way (which have failed in the past for me), the hard way and by repository, and… then, there’s downloading from nvidia.com.

I want to avoid the ‘hard way’ because I’ll have to repeat everytime the kernel is updated. That leaves the repository or nvidia.com. On nvidia.com the latest driver for the 980 is

Version: 343.22
Release Date: 2014.9.18
Operating System: Linux 64-bit
Language: English (US)
File Size: 73.00 MB

On the repository I see dates from this year on all drivers. Are those driver official ?

What do you mean with “nvidia.com”?
Downloading the driver from the website “nvidia.com” is in fact “the hard way”.

If you want to avoid that, you actually only have one choice: add the repo (you can find it in YaST’s community repositories list as well, i.e. click on “Add” in YaST->Software Repositories and choose “Community Repositories”) and install the driver via YaST or zypper, i.e. the “repository way”.

The “easy way” (i.e. the 1-click install section) has not been updated to include the latest G04/343.xx driver yet.

But the repository is hosted at nvidia.com as well… :wink:

On the repository I see dates from this year on all drivers. Are those driver official ?

Of course, but it depends what you mean with “official”.
The driver is the “official” binary blob from nvidia, packaged by openSUSE and published by nvidia on their servers.

For your GeForce 980, you need to install the “x11-video-nvidiaG04” though, G02 and G03 do not support it at all.

Then I use the repository. Thank you.

When the OS is installed (13.2 64 bit) I suppose the noveau driver will be installed by default, does it still has to be blocked before installing the official driver ?

Yes.

does it still has to be blocked before installing the official driver ?

No.
It never had to be blocked when installing the nvidia driver via the packages in the repo. The packages take care of everything that’s necessary.

Just install “x11-video-nvidiaG04” (maybe verify that the correct kmp packages for your kernel are being selected) and reboot, and the driver should be working.

Thank you! just one week and I’ll end the build of the pc :slight_smile: then I can do it.