Last 65,- spent

Today I bought OpenSuSE 11 and Installed it and I’m quite pleased with seeing that the Novell Yankees can only screw up fine German quality again.

I loved SuSE under German flag and had good hopes when Novell took over, but Novell only seems to be interested in outlook and not quality go go USA.

Since SuSE 11 I have never seen such poor quality being released in the Linux world. To me this seems the worst downfall ever in Linux land.

Mouse problems, graphics card problems, none responsive system. Crap! Wastebin!

Linus Torvalds already had hardware raid support removed from the Linux kernel in return for some money offered by the big unix manufacturers in the world, setting back Linux to childsplay status.

Recently EVMS (professional Linux storage management system) was discontinued by Novell SuSE.

Adding it all up (10 years of linux for me) ends here today, just like I did with Microsoft 9 years ago!

Novell SuSE from now on ends up next to all other Microsoft dirt in the trashcan.

This was the last 65,- Euro’s spent on SuSE Linux!

Bye bye Novell SuSE Linux…
Hello BSD…

Kind regards,

Ron de Jong
The Netherlands

Today I bought OpenSuSE 11 and Installed it and I’m quite pleased with seeing that the Novell Yankees can only screw up fine German quality again.

I loved SuSE under German flag and had good hopes when Novell took over, but Novell only seems to be interested in outlook and not quality go go USA.

Since SuSE 11 I have never seen such poor quality being released in the Linux world. To me this seems the worst downfall ever in Linux land.

Mouse problems, graphics card problems, none responsive system. Crap! Wastebin!

Linus Torvalds already had hardware raid support removed from the Linux kernel in return for some money offered by the big unix manufacturers in the world, setting back Linux to childsplay status.

Recently EVMS (professional Linux storage management system) was discontinued by Novell SuSE.

Adding it all up (10 years of linux for me) ends here today, just like I did with Microsoft 9 years ago!

Novell SuSE from now on ends up next to all other Microsoft dirt in the trashcan.

This was the last 65,- Euro’s spent on SuSE Linux!

Bye bye Novell SuSE Linux…
Hello BSD…

Kind regards,

Ron de Jong
The Netherlands

This thread is now under soap box, hopefully that sorts this for any NNTP users.

You could have put the whole post in the trashcan oldcpu :wink:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Dupe

radejong wrote:
| Today I bought OpenSuSE 11 and Installed it and I’m quite pleased with
| seeing that the Novell Yankees can only screw up fine German quality
| again.
|
| I loved SuSE under German flag and had good hopes when Novell took
| over, but Novell only seems to be interested in outlook and not quality
| go go USA.
|
| Since SuSE 11 I have never seen such poor quality being released in the
| Linux world. To me this seems the worst downfall ever in Linux land.
|
| Mouse problems, graphics card problems, none responsive system. Crap!
| Wastebin!
|
| Linus Torvalds already had hardware raid support removed from the Linux
| kernel in return for some money offered by the big unix manufacturers in
| the world, setting back Linux to childsplay status.
|
| Recently EVMS (professional Linux storage management system) was
| discontinued by Novell SuSE.
|
| Adding it all up (10 years of linux for me) ends here today, just like
| I did with Microsoft 9 years ago!
|
| Novell SuSE from now on ends up next to all other Microsoft dirt in the
| trashcan.
|
| This was the last 65,- Euro’s spent on SuSE Linux!
|
| Bye bye Novell SuSE Linux…
| Hello BSD…
|
| Kind regards,
|
| Ron de Jong
| The Netherlands
|
|
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIcWat3s42bA80+9kRArCAAJ9SSkrF7ePumQy3bUEh5J1dyB/emwCffgGn
+dBd3kZWqEi7iFxVm4GIrcM=
=6Hhr
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

The Dutch do now how to rant! (must be the weather here…)

Other than that I could have much to say, but I’ll just wish you a good journey.

-Wj

One ps. How deluded can you be if you are pointing a finger at Novell for decisions others make? (EVMS = IBM, Linus != Novell)

I do agree that overall quality has slipped since Novell, but we have also seen many benefits such as an increased community involvement, creation of the build service, and ongoing public release candiates just to name a few. In short, this is a work in progress and I prefer the expanded inclusion of ideas and packages over the limited window of community opportunities provided by the old SuSE team.

Is it then an overall quality that is lacking or has the picture frame just gotten bigger (e.g. much more to support and higher demand?)

I do agree it’s been quite a ride for Novell (the switch from Netware to Linux alone was a major one) and a big learning curve. That must have hit & it did hit.

Not specifically talking desktop, but if I compare what I could do with the 9.x release and the 11.0 release now, there has been much improvement, mainly to be seen in the GUI environment/management as also the available feautures have vastly grown. Following this line I’m anxious to see the SLES & SLED 11 versions (and eventually OES3) released as I’m expecting them to be yet a step further and will open another door for broader acceptance/audience.

Linux has been shifting allot in general (as I’ve experienced it the last year or two), with changes to the kernel as well as (many) changes to the DE’s. All to get in par with the big competitors.

It’s all about priorities and I do agree Novell (as well as others) have to bring their main focus back on quality/stability and less to adding feautures and let it all take it’s place.

Just my 2cents after all :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Wj

P.s. As far as I am concerned openSUSE 11 is the best version yet. But I do question the release cycle every 6 months… but somewhat like Fedora it’s aim is also to be a development release as well as cutting edge for the OSS comunity.

• Cryovac wrote, On 07/07/2008 07:46 AM:
    > I do agree that overall quality has slipped since Novell,

I don’t. Yes, there have been problems in the past with the software management and the integration of the horrible Ximian stuff, but Opensuse 11 works great here on three machines. All problems so far are either because of KDE4 (away with it for now) or the kernel itself.

As for the original message: If one expects to buy a copy of any Linux distro and not run into problems, he chose the wrong OS. If you don’t want to play with it and have absolutely no masochist attitude towards computers, better use a machine with XP preinstalled or use a Mac.
My 2cts.

Uwe

I have to agree with your complains. This is the worst Suse i ever used from the times of 7.2. They have been very clever in messing everything was fine until now. Maybe at novell they have a special office to do that! I will continue with 10.3 and will give a chance at 11.1. But this confirms an old tale: never use a *.0 release

I merged the two threads you posted.

This is clearly a rant, and rants belong in soap box. Also, we have a forum policy of only one post on a subject.

Out of curiousity, what was the result of your calling Novell support ? (where such support comes with your 65 euros)?

Also, under what handle did you ask for help on our forum, or on IRC#suse?

Is it just me or are the Dutch under some type of constant medication because most of these incoherent ramblings seem to originate from that particular country - many of them having no content and just poor attempt at trolling.

Sins of the fathers… perhaps they should’ve used less drugs.

On 07/07/2008 Chrysantine wrote:
> Is it just me

This one.

Uwe

Eh eh.

oldcpu wrote:
> This thread is now under soap box, hopefully that sorts this for any
> NNTP users.

nope…because i have to ask WHAT post?

all i see here (in soapbox) is what is above, and what you wrote ten
minutes earlier: “This thread is being moved to soap box. NNTP users,
please reply once it is under soap box, and wait until then.”

that is, i do NOT see the post that began this thread, nor do i have any
idea where it might exist on the NNTP side…

maybe when a staff member decides to move a post it would be good COPY
the originating and subsequent posts along with the “This thread is
being moved to soap box.” notice…

or something…</sigh>

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
A Texan in Denmark

wow…trying to start a civil war with your fellow EUnion citizen, or what?

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
A Texan in Denmark

DenverD wrote:
> oldcpu wrote:
>> This thread is now under soap box, hopefully that sorts this for any
>> NNTP users.
>
> nope…because i have to ask WHAT post?
>
> all i see here (in soapbox) is what is above, and what you wrote ten
> minutes earlier: “This thread is being moved to soap box. NNTP users,
> please reply once it is under soap box, and wait until then.”
>
> that is, i do NOT see the post that began this thread, nor do i have any
> idea where it might exist on the NNTP side…
>
> maybe when a staff member decides to move a post it would be good COPY
> the originating and subsequent posts along with the “This thread is
> being moved to soap box.” notice…
>
> or something…</sigh>
>
You can also search in NNTP if you really want to see the beginnings of
the thread if it is that important and you don’t get the gist of the
conversation from the rest of the posts that are viewable on the NNTP
side (and with this topic, even the title alone says it).

@Chrysantine… excuse me? You might wanna do some less steaming of your own in that suana? You must have put too much rose oil in there…

It’s one thing we are ‘known’ for being liberal but talk about stigmatizing…

Well, we can all agree to disagree I suppose…but from my experience the 10.x series was horribly bug-ridden compared to anything in the 8.x and 9.x versions. 11.x has seen a lot of improvements (apart from KDE4) and is at least improving.

I’m with you there… Although 10.3 in my experience was and is a solid version (for desktop & server).