Laptop X Config Issue

Hi all… I posted this on the nvidia boards, but haven’t had any help.

If anyone has some input, I’d love to hear it. Thanks in advance.

Original Post: Help with laptop X config - nV News Forums

Content:

Hi there, thanks in advance for any help and advice.

I just bought a Gateway P-7805u FX laptop which has 9800M GTS w/ 1GB of video RAM.

At home, I’d like to connect this via the HDMI port to my LCD monitor @ 1680x1050, falling back to the laptop screen @ 1440x900 when the LCD is not connected.

I seem to have, through trial and error, been able to get it working ALMOST completely.

I have two issues… one major, one minor:

Major: I cannot see any of the other terminals now. If I hit Ctrl-Alt-<F1-F6> the screen goes blank (both on the external LCD and the laptops screeen). If I unplug the HDMI connector, I still cannot see it on the laptop screen. This is a big issue for me.

Minor: The function key to switch between displays on the laptop keyboard hard-locks the computer (as in, nothing works, I have to hold thw power in for 8 seconds to turn it off). This started when I installed the actual nvidia driver and has not changed at all through my xorg.conf fiddling. I suppose as long as the display auto-sensing works, this isn’t a huge deal, but I am sure people can relate to being bothered by anything that hard-locks you that way.

Assistance would be really great, attached is my xorg.conf file.

Edit: Oh, using 180.29 and OpenSuSE 11.1 - Thanks again.

xorg.conf file: http://www.landlordhat.com/xorg.conf.txt

I’m only going to bump this once. Thanks in advance for your time, it is appreciated.