Laptop shuts down after wakeing up from suspend to RAM

Very weird problem. Laptop shuts down after wakeing up from suspend to RAM, but only when it has been sleeping for a while (at least an hour or so). According to /var/log/pm-suspend.log, the laptop resumes successfully, I can even see the lock screen for a short moment, but then it immediately goes to power down. I have OpenSuse 12.3 with KDE.

Did you try a different kernel(starting 12.3 openSUSE keeps multiple kernels)

Good suggestion. I had the same problem, however I was too busy to troubleshoot it at the time. Then I did a routine update that included a new kernel. No problem since.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I have a suspicion that it might be caused by something else but with this type of problem it takes some time to test it. If it is working, I’ll post my solution, otherwise I’ll go your way. What other kernels do you have in mind? I’m using kernel-desktop, so should I try to use kernel-default?

# uname -a
Linux p580.cutbeach 3.7.10-1.16-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri May 31 20:21:23 UTC 2013 (97c14ba) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I meant openSUSE keeps various versions of “kernel-desktop”. You can find the versions when you choose advanced option in grub/boot menu

I’ve been 4 days without the weird shut down after waking up so I can say what the problem most likely was.

I’m used to putting my laptop to sleep using the power button. However my new laptop’s power button is not separated from the rest of the keyboard so as a safety precaution, it’s not enough to press the power button, you have to hold it for a short period of time to trigger the event. It might sound weird but my suspicion is that holding the button triggered two events instead of one. The first puts the laptop to sleep and the second shuts it down immediately after the laptop wakes up. Anyway, since I stopped using power button to put laptop to sleep, I haven’t experienced the described problem.

On 2013-07-07 21:36, tobice wrote:
>
> I’ve been 4 days without the weird shut down after waking up so I can
> say what the problem most likely was.
>
> I’m used to putting my laptop to sleep using the power button. However
> my new laptop’s power button is not separated from the rest of the
> keyboard so as a safety precaution, it’s not enough to press the power
> button, you have to hold it for a short period of time to trigger the
> event. It might sound weird but my suspicion is that holding the button
> triggered two events instead of one. The first puts the laptop to sleep
> and the second shuts it down immediately after the laptop wakes up.
> Anyway, since I stopped using power button to put laptop to sleep, I
> haven’t experienced the described problem.

Curious.

I was going to ask if there is something in the log right after the wake
up; that is, if the operating system sees or acts on some event. If
there is nothing, just the next boot sequence, then it looks like the
bios acting.

I guess that the second power button press would be logged, anywhere
near the first press or later after the wakeup.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)