Laptop freezes on connect with one specific wlan

Hi all,

I just got a new HP ProBook 4720s and I installed 11.4 64b on it with Gnome. I connected to my wlan @home and started to copy about 30Gigs to the laptop. Then I installed VirtualBox and I booted a guest OS (OSX). While the guest OS was running I modified the VirtualBox settings to not use eth0 but wlan0. When I clicked apply the laptop froze. Since then it keeps freezing whenever it connects to my home wlan. It freezes when the progress bar goes from half filled to full. It is not just a gui freeze, but the whole system. Before I connected I did a shutdown -r 1 but the system never restarted.

Weird thing is, at the office I can connect to several wlans and everything keeps working, once back home, on connect it freezes again. When I try to connect from a different user as a test it also freezes. So that would mean it is something global and not in my personal settings.

I tried to find every reference to my wlan and delete it, but I only found the files in my homedir/.gconf/system/network

Since other wlans work I can’t imagine it is a hardware issue but what can I do to ‘reset’ previous settings without reinstalling?

The wireless card is a Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01). None of the broadcom packages are installed so I think it is in the kernel?

On 09/22/2011 12:46 AM, Ricochet wrote:
> The wireless card is a Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n
> Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01). None of the broadcom packages are
> installed so I think it is in the kernel?

I have no idea what is going on here, but the BCM4313 does not function with the
standard kernel in 11.4. If it works at all, then you have installed something
extra. Until we know what that is, there is no way to help with your issue.

That is weird then… I did a clean install, out of the box as they say. I didn’t install anything. After the first boot the wireless card just worked and after that I started to add repo’s, while having a wireless connection :s

So it gets weirder. I booted from a SuSE live cd and upon connection with my neighbours wlan everything worked. Upon connection with my wlan the machine froze again :s

Then I removed power from my wireless router and powered it back on again. Now the problem is gone :s

So I am happy now, but it leaves me kinda disturbed that a wireless switch can have such an effect on my machine… And now I kinda regret not (temporary) installing win7 to see if it would also hang.

On 09/23/2011 12:26 AM, Ricochet wrote:
>
> So it gets weirder. I booted from a SuSE live cd and upon connection
> with my neighbours wlan everything worked. Upon connection with my wlan
> the machine froze again :s
>
> Then I removed power from my wireless router and powered it back on
> again. Now the problem is gone :s
>
> So I am happy now, but it leaves me kinda disturbed that a wireless
> switch can have such an effect on my machine… And now I kinda regret
> not (temporary) installing win7 to see if it would also hang.

As is the case with all complicated software, any external input that deviates
widely from the expected behavior can lead to following paths through the code
that have never been tested. If your system again develops these symptoms, a
wireshark dump of the traffic from that AP to your box would be helpful.

Thanks for your reply. If it happens again I’ll try to make a wireshark dump. So far everything keeps working well, so I guess this can be closed.