Laptop Display and External Monitor Question

So a few months ago, a strange thing happens. When moving mouse between the two monitors or sometimes just when using only my laptop monitor by itself, the screen goes to black and fades in and out of this black screen and my desktop.

It seems to happen at random, I have tried monitoring applications and display output to no avail. 95% of the time there is no issue but it seems to happen every once in a while.

Does not happen on any of my other Tumbleweed machines, but I will also add that this particular machine is the only nvidia graphics card one I own as well. Any advice?

Specs:

Kernel: 6.1.7-1-default 
Shell: bash 5.2.15 
Resolution: 3840x2160 
DE: GNOME 43.2 
WM: Mutter 
WM Theme: Adwaita 
Theme: Adwaita [GTK2/3] 
Icons: Adwaita [GTK2/3] 
Terminal: gnome-terminal 
CPU: Intel i7-8750H (12) 
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX  
NVIDIA G06 - 525.85.05-6.1

@varchar5000 is this a hybrid machine using suse-prime and switched to Nvidia, or a straight Nvidia system?

I expect your running X11 as well?

Are the nvidia sleep/hibernate etc installed and running?

Straight Nvidia system, I have X11 but as well as Wayland, and I am wondering if Wayland is the issue?
I know when I ran the system under KDE I never had that issue, but I believe the KDE pattern installs only X-11.

sleep/hibernate, I believe are installed and running, but how would I check to be sure?

Thank you for the fast reply! :slight_smile:

@varchar5000 yes only X11 for Nvidia… wayland has issues and is disabled by default if running Wayland, need to manually tweak the udev file to override.

Can I just uninstall the wayland package all together from the system, or should I do a clean install to correct issue? I have multiple systems and backups so a fresh install would only have a minimal downtime of… idk 2hrs total for me, but if simply removing wayland will alleviate issues and save me time I would rather go for that.

p.s. I know I am running wayland default as I tried to use simplescreenrecorder about a week ago and it advised me its only available for X11

@varchar5000 just log out and when you select your user name, select the cog bottom right select GNOME on Xorg.

Or I could just do that yes :stuck_out_tongue: thank you, switched to xorg going to give it a shot and see if that corrects the problem.

Again, thank you!

1 Like