kwin global shortcuts disappear after apper update

Hello:

After a re-boot and log-in here, opensuse 13.1 takes “forever” (I get up and get a snack) to settle down, during which time it cycles through all the desktops every time the mouse is moved or a desktop (any desktop, whichever one happens to be current at the moment) is clicked. When it finally settles down (after 2 or 3 min. or more) and stays on one desktop, kwin global shortcuts have disappeared. This has been plaguing me since the last major barrage of updates came in, when apper installed about 32 of them and effectively broke the system.

I’ve read http://www.freetechie.com/blog/kde-4-4-w-qt-4-6-0-kwin-global-shortcut-issues/ that this can be fixed, (if ever so temporarily - until the next boot, on this machine) by using the command #kwin --replace ]. Here is the response I get for the command:

# kwin --replace
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
  Major opcode: 20 (X_GetProperty)
  Resource id:  0x220001d
kbuildsycoca4 running...
QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::resourceScoreUpdated(QString, QString, QString, double) to NepomukPlugin::resourceScoreUpdated(QString, QString, QString, double)
QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::recentStatsDeleted(QString, int, QString) to NepomukPlugin::deleteRecentStats(QString, int, QString)
QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::earlierStatsDeleted(QString, int) to NepomukPlugin::deleteEarlierStats(QString, int)
kactivitymanagerd(1849)/nepomuk (library): Could not find virtuoso to connect to. Aborting
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.kde4/share/config/activitymanager-pluginsrc
QDBusConnection: name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel' had owner '' but we thought it was ':1.7'
OpenGL vendor string:                   X.Org
OpenGL renderer string:                 Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880
OpenGL version string:                  3.0 Mesa 9.2.3
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
Driver:                                 R600G
GPU class:                              R600
OpenGL version:                         3.0
GLSL version:                           1.30
Mesa version:                           9.2.3
X server version:                       1.14.3
Linux kernel version:                   3.11.10
Direct rendering:                       yes
Requires strict binding:                no
GLSL shaders:                           yes
Texture NPOT support:                   yes
Virtual Machine:                        no
kbuildsycoca4 running...

When it reaches that last line - “kbuildsycoca4 running…” - it simply stops, never seems to do anything more, never finishes whatever it’s doing, and I have no keyboard nor mouse; I must push the button. When the system comes back up, I usually (not always) have my keyboard “shorts” back again until the next reboot, for whatever reason. It’s a real pain in the tuchus.

Regarding the result, above, of the #kwin --replace ] command, I wonder that kwin works at all, and what else is missing/broken that it’s trying to connect with to “–replace” from.

The bug report: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=216857 indicates that KDE thinks the problem is “upstream” with Qt, but that doesn’t seem to do much to fix anything.

Any thoughts on an opensuse fix for this?

openSUSE-13.1-KDE-x86_64 | KDE 4.11.5 | sda=80GB Ext4 | sdb=500GB Ext4
AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz | Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H (rev. 3.1) | DDR3-1333 8GB
ATI Radeon HD 4250 graphics (DirectX10.1) | Firefox 27.0 | Thunderbird 24.3.0

That bug report is 4 years old! Apparently there was a bug in Qt between 4.6.0 and 4.6.1, we are at 4.8.5 now and this has long been fixed.
So ignore that bug report please.

Apparently you have a problem with kded.
Try to disable all services in “Configure Desktop” (systemsettings)->Startup and Shutdown->Service Management, except “Keyboard Shortcuts”. (remember which ones were enabled)
Does it work then? (after logout/login, or a reboot)

If yes, enable them one-by-one again to see which one is causing this.

The desktop cycling problem seems to be mouse/rouchpad related. By default the desktop is switched by using the mouse wheel on the desktop (this can be configured by right-clicking on the desktop and choosing “Default Desktop Settings” and clicking on “Mouse Actions” there).
Are you using a touchpad? Then this could be caused by the synaptiks service and therefore be related to the first problem.

Thanks, Wolfi - I’ll try that a bit later. It’s 4 A.M. here and I’m crashing. I’ll let you know what happens when I do…

Hello again:

Tried it with all but “Keyboard Shortcuts” disabled, even tried it with everything disabled. No change.

I don’t have synaptic loaded - that I know of - don’t have a touchpad nor a mouse wheel. I use a Logitech 4-button trackball, not that I know what the other two buttons do. They haven’t ever seemed to be supported in opensuse anyway.

I have issues with the result of #kwin --replace] anyway, as follows:

# kwin --replace 
Connecting to deprecated signal

Deprecated signal?

QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
  Resource id:  0x1e0001d
kbuildsycoca4 running...

QDBusConnectionInterface and kbuildsycoca4 both have problems with window parameters?

QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::resourceScoreUpdated(QString, QString, QString, double) to NepomukPlugin::resourceScoreUpdated(QString, QString, QString, double)
QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::recentStatsDeleted(QString, int, QString) to NepomukPlugin::deleteRecentStats(QString, int, QString)
QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::earlierStatsDeleted(QString, int) to NepomukPlugin::deleteEarlierStats(QString, int)

QObjects can’t find the NepomukPlugin?

kactivitymanagerd(5577)/nepomuk (library): Could not find virtuoso to connect to. Aborting

Could not find a virtuoso? I can find them all over youtube.

QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.kde4/share/config/activitymanager-pluginsrc

Hard to add a Path to something that ain’t there. Why isn’t it there?

QDBusConnection: name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel' had owner '' but we thought it was ':1.7'

So whose is it?

OpenGL vendor string:                   X.Org
OpenGL renderer string:                 Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880
OpenGL version string:                  3.0 Mesa 9.2.3
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
Driver:                                 R600G
GPU class:                              R600
OpenGL version:                         3.0
GLSL version:                           1.30
Mesa version:                           9.2.3
X server version:                       1.14.3
Linux kernel version:                   3.11.10
Direct rendering:                       yes
Requires strict binding:                no
GLSL shaders:                           yes
Texture NPOT support:                   yes
Virtual Machine:                        no
kbuildsycoca4 running...

and running, and running, and then, after (Ctrl-C):

Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)

then, after mousing to editor and back to konsole:

kglobalaccel(5581)/kdeui (KNotification) KNotification::slotReceivedIdError: Error while contacting notify daemon "Not connected to server"
kglobalaccel(5581)/kdeui (KNotification) KNotification::slotReceivedIdError: Error while contacting notify daemon "Not connected to server"

No keyboard [alt-tab] between screens now. I think I’m lucky to have both programs already open and a mouse that still works.

Booting again, now … well, maybe… No [Ctrl-Alt-F2] now, anything from keyboard only adds more “Not connected to server” lines to konsole like those above…

Guys, regardless of the age of a bug report, I sincerely believe kwin is currently hosed. Either that or the environment around it is no longer compatible. The way it is now simply sucks, when the function that is supposed to replace/rebuild it can’t find anything it looks for. The question is what to do about it now?

Going for the reset button again…

But the synaptiks service is activated by default AFAIK, so maybe that could have interfered (although it shouldn’t if there is no touchpad present).

I have issues with the result of #kwin --replace] anyway, as follows:

# kwin --replace 
Connecting to deprecated signal

Deprecated signal?

Right, that’s strange. I don’t see that here.

kactivitymanagerd(5577)/nepomuk (library): Could not find virtuoso to connect to. Aborting

Could not find a virtuoso? I can find them all over youtube.

Virtuoso is Nepomuk’s database storage backend.

Hard to add a Path to something that ain’t there. Why isn’t it there?

And why /root/.kde4/share/config/activitymanager-pluginsrc? Are you running it as root?

kglobalaccel(5581)/kdeui (KNotification) KNotification::slotReceivedIdError: Error while contacting notify daemon “Not connected to server”
kglobalaccel(5581)/kdeui (KNotification) KNotification::slotReceivedIdError: Error while contacting notify daemon “Not connected to server”

Could be because you disabled all kded services I guess.

Booting again, now … well, maybe… No [Ctrl-Alt-F2] now, anything from keyboard only adds more “Not connected to server” lines to konsole like those above…

Hm, Ctrl+Alt+F2 (to switch to a text console) has nothing to do with KDE. That’s a feature of X directly.
Or do you mean Alt+F2 to open krunner?

Guys, regardless of the age of a bug report, I sincerely believe kwin is currently hosed. Either that or the environment around it is no longer compatible. The way it is now simply sucks, when the function that is supposed to replace/rebuild it can’t find anything it looks for. The question is what to do about it now?

Again, forget that bug report. That particular bug has been fixed ages ago (and only was in a pre-release version).
And what you are experiencing is certainly no general problem in kwin or anything, otherwise it would not be only you to experience this, no?
Please try to create a new user (with YaST->Security and Users->User and Group Management f.e.), login as that user and see if the problem exists there, too.

Maybe not all necessary packages got updated for some reason?
Please try to run “sudo zypper up” manually in Konsole and post the output.

And please also post the output of:

zypper lr -d

Btw, by googling for that I found this: [Solved] KDE4 won´t finish loading after login-in with KDM / Applications & Desktop Environments / Arch Linux Forums, where the problem was caused by the graphics driver (nvidia).
Disabling compositing by running this should fix it apparently:

kwriteconfig --file kwinrc --group Compositing --key Enabled false

So, are you using the nvidia driver?
And if yes, how did you install it? There was a kernel update recently which would render the nvidia driver non-working if you installed it “the hard way” (by downloading the .run files from the nvidia homepage). In that case you always have to reinstall the driver after a kernel update (and in case of an update to xorg-x11-server or Mesa as well).

And please install the package “Mesa-demo-x” and post the output of:

glxinfo | grep render

Nope - this board has ATI Radeon HD 4250 graphics (DirectX10.1). Had nvidia on the last board, irrelevant now.

I’m beginning to question the devs changing the kernel from something that works to something that does not. Maybe this is not all the fault of the hardware mfrs?

Thanks, wolfi - Here it is:

~> glxinfo | grep render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880
    GL_MESA_texture_signed_rgba, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp, 
    GL_MESA_window_pos, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_conditional_render, 
~> 

Now I wonder if the nvidia driver was the only one affected by the kernel change.

OK.

I’m beginning to question the devs changing the kernel from something that works to something that does not. Maybe this is not all the fault of the hardware mfrs?

Hm? Everything works fine here, and ever did. And I dare to say most people don’t have that problem, so I don’t think the “devs changed the kernel from something that works to something that does not”. If they did, even if it was only for your system, it would be worth a bug report though.

The hardware mfrs fault may be to not provide (working) drivers for Linux. But that should not be the case with your card AFAIK (AMD does contribute to open source since quite some time)

I just stumbled about that when googling for “kwin --replace Connecting to deprecated signal”, so I thought it may be the problem here. (and a graphics driver problem did sound reasonable)
But apparently this is not your problem.

Thanks, wolfi - Here it is:

~> glxinfo | grep render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880
    GL_MESA_texture_signed_rgba, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp, 
    GL_MESA_window_pos, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_conditional_render, 
~> 

That looks ok.

Now I wonder if the nvidia driver was the only one affected by the kernel change.

You misunderstood.
If you install the nvidia (or fglrx) driver by downloading it from their homepage, you have to reinstall it every time there is a kernel update.
That’s not related to changes in the kernel, but is necessary because the new kernel and its modules are in a different directory, so the driver’s kernel module is not found any more.

But again, this doesn’t affect you, since you’re using the open source radeon driver anyway. (and fglrx doesn’t support your card)

So, how about the other things I asked?
I.e.:
Do you have the same problem with a new user?
What does “zypper up” say? (maybe the update wasn’t installed completely)

Does it maybe work when you boot to recovery mode? (Advanced Options in the boot menu)

Heh - I had to look up “fglrx”…

Probably irrelevant at this moment, but does this mean that every time there is a kernel update, that the older kernel still remains on the drive - meaning that multiple copies of varying kernels could conceivably exist on the drive? Just for my understanding…

Zypper shows nothing outstanding. Supposedly all O.K.

Only tried “recovery mode” once before; If I remember, it opened to a command-line interface, I was totally lost, and haven’t tried it again since.

Trying the “new user” option next…

By default when a new kernel is installed openUSE will keep the last 2 kernels plus the new one. After a successful boot to the new one the oldest of the 3 are removed. You can boot to the older kernel by going to advanced in grub and selecting it

If you install a propritary driver NVIDIA or ATI by a repo it will auto link to the new kernel when it is updated. If you install by hand you have to reinstall by hand on each kernel update

Fascinating! I did wonder, back when I was using openSUSE 12.3, where on earth did the menu item come from that said “v12.1” which I thought had been left behind…
Thank you, gogalthorp.

fglrx is AMD’s proprietary graphics driver for Linux. But it only supports HD5000 and up, so it’s no use to you.

Probably irrelevant at this moment, but does this mean that every time there is a kernel update, that the older kernel still remains on the drive - meaning that multiple copies of varying kernels could conceivably exist on the drive? Just for my understanding…

Yes, at least two kernels stay installed all the time.
If you have problems after a kernel update you can always boot the older one in the boot menu (under “Advanced Options” if you’re using grub2) which should still work fine.

Only tried “recovery mode” once before; If I remember, it opened to a command-line interface, I was totally lost, and haven’t tried it again since.

It should boot up to a graphical mode just fine.
Please try it. That would rule out or confirm a graphics driver issue.

If you do only get a command line interface, just reboot.
You may try to add “nomodeset” to the kernel boot options in that case as a test.
(for grub1 just enter it at the boot menu; for grub2 press ‘e’, search for a line starting with “linux” and append it to the end, then press ‘F10’ to boot; both methods only apply to that one boot, so you don’t have to fear to break your system)

Back to this, finally, had other business to attend (got through the income tax appointment)

I have disabled synaptiks so irrelevant now.

Virtuoso is Nepomuk’s database storage backend.
And why /root/.kde4/share/config/activitymanager-pluginsrc? Are you running it as root?
Could be because you disabled all kded services I guess.

libnepomukwidgets4, nepomuk-core, & python-kde4-nepomuk all show as installed in yast2
I checked yast, see kded not even installed. Should it be?

Hm, Ctrl+Alt+F2 (to switch to a text console) has nothing to do with KDE. That’s a feature of X directly.
Or do you mean Alt+F2 to open krunner?

Nope - I was looking anything that would work to get out of the frozen condition after [kwin --replace] finished whatever it wasn’t doing.

Again, forget that bug report. That particular bug has been fixed ages ago (and only was in a pre-release version).
And what you are experiencing is certainly no general problem in kwin or anything, otherwise it would not be only you to experience this, no?
Please try to create a new user (with YaST->Security and Users->User and Group Management f.e.), login as that user and see if the problem exists there, too.

What bug report?
I tried the “new user” but got same result. MY kwin is busted.

Maybe not all necessary packages got updated for some reason?
Please try to run “sudo zypper up” manually in Konsole and post the output.

~>
~> sudo zypper up
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

The following 2 package updates will NOT be installed:
  k3b xine-ui

Nothing to do.
~>  

And please also post the output of:

zypper lr -d
~> sudo zypper lr -d
root's password:
#  | Alias                     | Name                               | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                  | Service
---+---------------------------+------------------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+----------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
 1 | Fonts:_Version_13.1       | openSUSE-13.1-Fonts                | No      | No      |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/M17N:/fonts/openSUSE_13.1/ |        
 2 | ftp.gwdg.de-suse_2        | Packman Repository                 | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/packman/suse/openSUSE_13.1/             |        
 3 | opensuse-guide.org-repo   | libdvdcss repository               | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/13.1/                                 |        
 4 | repo-debug                | openSUSE-13.1-Debug                | No      | No      |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/13.1/repo/oss/       |        
 5 | repo-debug-update         | openSUSE-13.1-Update-Debug         | No      | No      |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/13.1/                      |        
 6 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | openSUSE-13.1-Update-Debug-Non-Oss | No      | No      |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/13.1-non-oss/              |        
 7 | repo-non-oss              | openSUSE-13.1-Non-Oss              | Yes     | No      |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/13.1/repo/non-oss/         |        
 8 | repo-oss                  | openSUSE-13.1-Oss                  | Yes     | No      |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/13.1/repo/oss/             |        
 9 | repo-source               | openSUSE-13.1-Source               | No      | No      |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/13.1/repo/oss/      |        
10 | repo-update               | openSUSE-13.1-Update               | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/13.1/                            |        
11 | repo-update-non-oss       | openSUSE-13.1-Update-Non-Oss       | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/13.1-non-oss/                    |        
chuck@PEGASUS:~> 

The diffuglety here is when I try to invoke [kwin --replace] to try to copy the result to this dialog, it locks me up and I have to to a hard reset to get back in. I would have sent this an hour ago but had to start over from scratch after the lock-up and re-boot logged me out of everything…

kded4 is part of kdelibs4. That’s installed for sure, as without it you couldn’t even run KDE…

Nope - I was looking anything that would work to get out of the frozen condition after [kwin --replace] finished whatever it wasn’t doing.

Well, if Ctrl+Alt+F2 does not work, it’s most likely a graphics driver issue. Nothing to do with KDE as I said already.

Have you tried to boot to “Recovery Mode” (Advanced Options in the boot menu) already as a test?

What bug report?

The bug report you linked to in your first post already, about that global shortcut issue in Qt 4.6.0+.

I tried the “new user” but got same result. MY kwin is busted.

I doubt that kwin is busted.
As kwin doesn’t have anything to do with global shortcuts.

It’s more likely X itself acting up. Could you maybe post /var/log/Xorg.0.log (use http://susepaste.org), maybe that contains something interesting.

~> sudo zypper lr -d

Looks ok.

The diffuglety here is when I try to invoke [kwin --replace] to try to copy the result to this dialog, it locks me up and I have to to a hard reset to get back in. I would have sent this an hour ago but had to start over from scratch after the lock-up and re-boot logged me out of everything…

Try to kill kwin and then restart it:

killall -KILL kwin ; kwin

But again, the next thing I’d suggest to try is to boot to “Recovery Mode”.
If that only brings you to text mode, try a normal boot with “nomodeset” added to the boot options.
Press ‘e’ at the boot menu, search for a line starting with “linux” and append “nomodeset” at the end of the line. Then press ‘F10’ to boot.

Yup - tried that. No joy.

The bug report you linked to in your first post already, about that global shortcut issue in Qt 4.6.0+.

Heh heh - the one you told me to “forget about”?

I doubt that kwin is busted.
As kwin doesn’t have anything to do with global shortcuts.

Excuse me - but “Configure Desktop” > “Common Appearance and Behavior” > “Shortcuts and Gestures” > “Global Keyboard Shortcuts” > “KDE Component dropdown” > “Kwin”] has nothing to do with “Kwin”? Now I AM confused.

It’s more likely X itself acting up. Could you maybe post /var/log/Xorg.0.log (use http://susepaste.org), maybe that contains something interesting.

SUSE Paste - hope something shows up…

Try to kill kwin and then restart it:

killall -KILL kwin ; kwin

But again, the next thing I’d suggest to try is to boot to “Recovery Mode”.
If that only brings you to text mode, try a normal boot with “nomodeset” added to the boot options.
Press ‘e’ at the boot menu, search for a line starting with “linux” and append “nomodeset” at the end of the line. Then press ‘F10’ to boot.

Thanks, Wolfi, for hanging in with me here. I’m going to do the “kill” option next, and then try the “nomodeset” option. I fully expect to be locked up again within the next couple of minutes.

Thanks, Wolfi, for hanging in with me here. I’m going to do the “kill” option next, and then try the “nomodeset” option. I fully expect to be locked up again within the next couple of minutes.

Additional info at 7:45 PM, PST:

SUSE Paste - after a regular shutdown & boot to “recovery mode”. I never saw a place to enter an “e”, so it was sans that option. Maybe next time I will see it.

NOW I’ll try the “kill” option…

At grub you just type an e to go to edit mode for the current selected option. There is no “place” to do it just type it

O.K.; I booted in the “normal” way but with nomodeset set. Now, please tell me what I did when I did that. keyboard shorts are working at the moment, but have been intermittent all along, so not sure yet what I have. So far, I see “Desktop Effects” are missing…

Yes. :wink:

Excuse me - but “Configure Desktop” > “Common Appearance and Behavior” > “Shortcuts and Gestures” > “Global Keyboard Shortcuts” > “KDE Component dropdown” > “Kwin”] has nothing to do with “Kwin”? Now I AM confused.

Of course KWin has keyboard shortcuts, like many other applications.
But it’s not KWin that listens for key presses, checks if corresponding shortcuts are defined and notifies the correct application/component.

SUSE Paste - hope something shows up…

I will look at it.

“nomodeset” effectively prevents the use of the “radeon” driver. You are now using “fbdev” (most likely), which of course doesn’t provide any hardware acceleration/3D. But I just wanted you to test if your problems are related to the graphics driver or not.
And apparently they are, but let’s wait and see…

OK, no obvious errors in there.

But a wild guess:
I noticed mentioning of a “Tripplite B015-000 R0.75 USB to PS2 adapter” in the log.
Maybe that one causes the problem? (your problems are indeed just related to mouse and keyboard AFAIUI)

Could you maybe try to connect your keyboard and mouse directly? Or try different ones which you don’t need that adapter for?