Krecord, Sound Problem

I have opensuse 13.1 running KDE; No real sound problems.
Have just installed Krecord, and am faced with this :-
can’t open soundcard: No such file or directory
Any guidance would be appreciated, as this seems to be generally problematic.

Krecord is a very old KDE3 application (the last release was 9! years ago), I don’t know if it even works with PulseAudio.
I think it doesn’t even support ALSA, only OSS.

Try to run it through “padsp krecord”, or load the snd-pcm-oss kernel module with “modprobe snd_pcm_oss” first (you might have to disable PulseAudio too as it might block the sound card). To do that automatically during boot, set LOAD_OSS_EMUL_MODULES=“yes” in /etc/sysconfig/sound.

But it would probably be a better idea to use a more modern application…

Installed it, as it was available through YAST. also wanted to use ALSA, and not revert to Pulse!!
Krecord was the only one listed; So which would you advise, that won’t break my system?

Yes, it is.
But still it’s ancient.

Doesn’t mean it won’t work at all though.

also wanted to use ALSA, and not revert to Pulse!!

PulseAudio is on by default. Did you disable it?

As I said, krecord doesn’t seem to support ALSA, you need to load the OSS compatibility modules, see my previous post.
Then it should work, I suppose.

Krecord was the only one listed; So which would you advise, that won’t break my system?

I suppose there are plenty, but I cannot really suggest one as I never recorded anything myself.
Audacity supports recording (with ALSA and PulseAudio), but in the end it also depends on what your needs are exactly.

You could e.g. also use the command line utility “arecord”, which is shipped with ALSA and installed in any case.

So, just installed Audacity, and it seems to provide all of the Facilities that I was looking for.
Many thanks for your Replies though.