Konqueror move files

Using two invocations of Konqueror I started a move files operation from one mounted partition to another by selection in one window, left click, hold down and move to the other window. I realized there was going to be a problem and quickly aborted. Can someone confirm that no files were deleted? I am assuming that files do not get deleted until the full copy operation is complete. Is this correct? I am backed up but the two versions are different by 24 hours.

When they are still in the window where you moved FROM they are still there.
When you have them in both windows, remove them from the TO woindow, those in the FROM window are still there.
When you have files in the TO window that are not in the FROM window they have completely moved, move them back.

Thank you for the clear and concise explanation.

You are welcome and I hope you have not lost any data.

Can you please confirm whether your analysis also holds true when I move data from a hard drive to a USB stick mounted to /media? If it makes any difference, the USB stick is formatted as ext2.

Thanks.

It doesn’t of course matter what you move from where to where.

If it is on the same file system a real move (as done by the mv command) only changes the administration of the file within the file system. The real data is not moved at all.

If it is moved to another file system it is in fact copied there and then deleted on the olod place (in commands: first a cp, then an rm). IIt does of course the rm only when the cp is succesfully completed.

I admit that the English word “move”, that was shortened to mv by the first designers of Unix, is a bit of a misnomer. Those Unix designers were very strict in their interpretation and what they implemented with mv was in fact the move of the file administration to a different place, not a move of the file’s data. They of course realised that you can not move the administration to another file system and leave the data were it is. Thus, by extenstion (and to make it easier for those who got sick by getting error messages that a move out of the file system was impossible) they added that the mv command would do a cp/rm sequence when needed.

And all this works of course irrespective of the file system type, the place where the file system is mounted and the hardware type behind the file system.
Only thing to take care of is that you must allways unmount a file system before physicaly removing it (either by umount or by some “remove save” button). Because else it could be that write actions are still running or that write buffers are still unwritten in cache. But that is true for every write, not only for those resulting from a cp or mv.

Thanks again. My conclusion is that I shouldn’t use Konqueror to make such critical moves. I should use the CLI. Because if I am rushing (and I was) it’s easy to confuse the “where from” and “where to” windows when I repeatedly diminish and restore them.

Then use “split screens” in one window (Konqui can have many splits, Dolphin only one split).

And of course, never do any critical things when in a hurry. Using the command line this could be even far more disastrious then from a GUI.

On 10/26/2011 12:16 PM, hcvv wrote:

> far more disastrious

as a means to preserve self sanity i very seldom use mv or move…

i am much more likely to cp/copy and then when it SEE the data where i
want it in the new place, and have checked to see it is not just a bunch
of zero file length names (or otherwise unusable–like having lost all
their file attributes (permissions, etc)…only then do i go back to
the old place, make sure i’m in the old place (ls) and then rm/remove

ymmv, it takes longer, but it is easier to take your time than be speedy
and accidentally delete a directory of ‘priceless’ info…

or make a backup which can’t be used…

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Automobiles” of operating systems

I have never used this feature. I kept two separate running processes in separate reduced windows. This certainly makes things easier. Wonderful to learn new things especially for an old f*rt like me.