konqueror freezes chromium does not even start

Various problems started to make my OpenSuSE 13.2 installation dysfunctional:

• konqueror started to freeze on me - now it does not even launch as a normal user - does launch as root though !
  • google’s chromium generates “Check failed: NamespaceUtils::WriteToIdMapFile(”/proc/self/gid_map", gid_)" - after that I would hit Ctrl-C and I would get the graphic screen - after upgrating to 3.16.7-32-desktop (form 3.16.7-19-desktop) this stop: it simply won’t launch (not even as root)
  • after upgrating to 3.16.7-32-desktop (form 3.16.7-19-desktop) a weird thing happened: the nouveau driver was loaded (lsmod | grep nouveau) although I have it blacklisted (cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf | grep -i nouveau). I had the inspiration to de-install xf86-video-nouveau to fix the problem. Why would a simple upgrade mess my system so much?

Problem is, the system has become too complicated for a simple user to understand it - all this is so window-ish !!! I can not even google these bugs !!!

I am so frustrated by these quality failures !!!

mimis

Should not use a web browser as root? Are you logging into the GUI as root? If so DON"T

How ever since it works for root is is probably a config file problem in your home

I don’t use konqure at all so I don’t have the files and not sure where the configs are but renaming ~/.kde4 will set the desktop pack to default and remove the old bad config files

ie if you did a upgrade and have old old configs it may be just version shock but this means it is best to simply redo your desktop.

Known problem, see here:
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/513355-Just-updated-Kernel-and-Chromium-no-longer-works

And as gogalthorpe wrote, you should never run a web browser as root…
Better try on a fresh user account if you want to rule out a configuration problem.

For Konqueror please run it in Konsole and post the output, it might provide a clue.

after upgrating to 3.16.7-32-desktop (form 3.16.7-19-desktop) a weird thing happened: the nouveau driver was loaded (lsmod | grep nouveau) although I have it blacklisted (cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf | grep -i nouveau). I had the inspiration to de-install xf86-video-nouveau to fix the problem.

xf86-video-nouveau does not contain the nouveau kernel module, only the X driver.

But the X driver will try to load the kernel module, even if it is blacklisted. A blacklist only prevents automatic loading on boot by the kernel.

Probably your nvidia driver installation broke because of the kernel update, and Xorg tried to use nouveau instead then which loaded the nouveau module.
So the actual problem probably is not that the nouveau module was loaded, but that nvidia could not be loaded.
Try to reinstall the driver, if you installed using nvidia’s .run installer this is necessary on every kernel update.

But please, open a separate thread for this separate problem, if you need further help.

Although I’d suspect that the nvidia driver is still not working, and this might also cause the problem with Konqueror.

Really thanks for your time to answer this - forgive me for being bit late but I was offline :slight_smile:

mimis