KMix won't start up in SUSE 11.4

Hi there,
KMix doesn’t start up in OpenSUSE 11.4 (x86) + KDE 4.6.0. So I can’t configure my audio channels and so on.

Error:
inux-d84p:/home/Willem # kmix
unnamed app(7652): KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server: “Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.”

unnamed app(7651): KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

Can anybody help me? Or is it a bug in KDE?

Thanks in advance,
Willem Franssen

Try again, but do not start KMix as root, but as a regular user.

This will at least give us some informative output.

When I try to start KMix from the terminal console as e regular user nothing happens. There is no output at all. When I try to startup KMix from the KDE Kickoff Programmstarter nothing happens. Further on I don’t know in what log-, or config folder I have to look to get some more information.

The same is here…

Try running this command before you run kmix

eval dbus-launch

KUniqueApplication reads the environment variables DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS & DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID and sometimes they don’t get set, running eval dbus-launch sets them, when you run it you should get something like:

DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-Pl3CfmlJNS,guid=blah
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=[pid-number]

Then try running kmix, I don’t know why they don’t get set or how to make it permanent, but if it works you could add a script to .kde4/Autostart containing

eval dbus-launch
kmix
exit 0

Can’t guarantee it’ll work in your case, I’m not really all that knowledgeable in these sort of areas, but it’s something I came across in the past on googling some other app giving the same errors that worked for me, with any luck it may do the trick for you too … best of luck

if you are still using pulse audio, install ‘pavucontrol’. If not solve the problem at least it will give you a way to control the audio.