KINO: raw1394 kernel module not loaded or failure to read/write /dev/raw1394!

Hi. I get this error message with KINO. I am trying to gather information on how to solve this but so far no luck. Can anyone kindly assist please?

WARNING: raw1394 kernel module not loaded or failure to read/write /dev/raw1394!

Bump.
Does anyone know anything about Kino?

Linuxinlennox wrote:
> Bump.
> Does anyone know anything about Kino?

i know nothing about Kino except it is an application which runs (or
not) on most all versions of Linux…

i can offer some assistance in how to try to help yourself while
waiting for that not-so-often passage of a Kino Guru through these fora:

1. try a google of the error within the opensuse.org site, like:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aopensuse.org+raw1394+kernel+module+not+loaded+or+failure+to+read%2Fwrite+%2Fdev%2Fraw1394
    returns 58 hits on previous openSUSE posters problems with that very
    error…some of those might take you to happiness…

2. if you find no help in those then expand your search to other
    distros, like:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+raw1394+kernel+module+not+loaded+or+failure+to+read%2Fwrite+%2Fdev%2Fraw1394
    which returns 1040

3. then, if you still can’t get it going you might need to go and look
    for those Kino Gurus, they must hide somewhere…i usually find them
    by just googling, like
    http://www.google.com/linux?q=kino
    which give a direct link to the wellspring at sourceforge, here
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/kino/
    which gives a link to ‘support’ here
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/kino/support
    which you can read to learn how to get the attention of Kino Gurus…

Have a lot of fun, even while waiting for a lone guru to pass through
an openSUSE forum…

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

Do you have the raw1394 module present? What is the output of the following command?

lsmod|grep 1394

If not, please check with yast package manager, if you have libraw1394 (firewire support) installed, and install if necessary.

This may also be a permissions issue. Maybe you need to add the user to the ‘video’ group (or similar) via YaST > Security and Users…

Thanks DenverD. I have done a lot of reading and I seem to be getting in over my head with it. As deano said, there is a lot of mention of it being a permissions problem. I have been trying to solve this one for a while and am still learning.

Deano, I didn’t get any output from that whatsoever. I do have libraw1394 installed. Could you direct me please on what to do once i get into security and users through Yast to change the permissions? This might just be the key. Thank you.

I guess you could try loading the module manually first. Open a terminal and become root first with

su - 

Enter your root password when prompted, then do

modprobe raw1394

Now try launching kino again. Same problem?

Check which groups you are a member of with this command

groups

If you’re still root in the terminal, then you can type

groups <your user name>

For example, I get

dean: users dialout video

To adjust your group permissions, (you can do this from a terminal, but easier to use YaST), navigate to

YaST > Security and Users > User and Group Management

From there click ‘Edit’ then ‘Details’ folder. You can see all the groups listed. Check the ‘video’ group, then ‘OK’. That should be all thats required (unless another group is also required for firewire devices).

Thanks again deano, unfortunately modprobe raw1394 did not respond at all, and ‘video’ was already checked in groups. I took a punt on checking tape but Kino still would not capture the video.

Ok, I’ve done a bit more digging here. I don’t have any fireware devices to test with unfortunately.

If I do the folowing query

# ls -l /dev/raw1394
crw-rw---- 1 root video 171, 0 2010-08-02 14:39 /dev/raw1394

I get root ownership reported too. (Not ideal). This Firewire FAQ explains

Many recent Linux distributions allow only the root user to access /dev/raw1394, either deliberately due to an incomplete understanding of FireWire security implications (Ubuntu), or because they didn’t notice that some Ubuntu udev rules were merged into mainline udev.

Anyway, I added a custom udev rule (as suggested) to fix this and give the ‘video’ group the required r/w access:

KERNEL=="raw1394", NAME="%k", GROUP="video"

I saved it as /etc/udev/rules.d/95-firewire.rules. You’ll need to create the file with root access like this:

kdesu kwrite /etc/udev/rules.d/95-firewire.rules

That should do it. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks, I am still not really sure what I am doing but this is how I followed your directions as best I could…I tapped in

ls -l /dev/raw1394

and i got

su
Password:
linux-2z2n:/home/dave # ls -l /dev/raw1394
crw-rw---- 1 root root 171, 0 2010-08-02 13:05 /dev/raw1394

from there i tapped in the addition

KERNEL=="raw1394", NAME="%k", GROUP="video"

and there was no output from that. Must be doing something wrong?
There was no 95-firewire.rules.folder and when i tried to create one Kwrite crashed.

Ok, you’ve got a bit confused. That custom rule needs to be entered in a text editor.

There was no 95-firewire.rules.folder and when i tried to create one Kwrite crashed.

Dont’ be root already in the terminal, just as regular user. BTW, you can change back from root to regular user in a terminal session with

su <your username>

Now to get started. If using KDE

kdesu kwrite /etc/udev/rules.d/95-firewire.rules

For Gnome, you can edit (with root privileges) like this

gnomesu gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/95-firewire.rules

Now enter the ‘KERNEL==…’ line (be carefull with syntax) and save.

Ok. I opened the text editor and entered the custom rule. It created the file right where we wanted it /etc/udev/rules.d/95-firewire.rules.
Nothing yet.
With the custom rule , should I enter my user name to overwrite the NAME section in KERNEL==“raw1394”, NAME="%k", GROUP=“video” ?
Maybe that is where the problem is. Should it be in upper case as in the example?
Sorry, for all these simple questions. I am learning a lot and you are greatly helping.

No. The entry relates to kernel devices and should be correct. The custom rule just helps set which groups (as well as root) will have r/w access to /dev/raw1394.

Just to be sure about the edit, post back your rule. Execute this as regular user (ie no need to be root):

cat /etc/udev/rules.d/95-firewire.rules

You can test ownership with

ls -l /dev/raw1394

You should get something like

crw-rw---- 1 root video 171, ......    /dev/raw1394

The first gave me this

dave@linux-2z2n:~> cat /etc/udev/rules.d/95-firewire.rules
KERNEL=="raw1394", NAME="%k", GROUP="video"dave@linux-2z2n:~>

Seems as it should be.

The second

ls -l /dev/raw1394
ls: cannot access /dev/raw1394: No such file or directory

But if i go into my root folders, the file is there!

I’m not sure if you’ve rebooted since first starting this exercise, but if not try this from a terminal window (as root with ‘su -’ command first):

rmmod raw1394
modprobe raw1394

Now start kino with your firewire device plugged in. Kino no longer reports a problem for me (although I can’t test further without access to this hardware).

Unfortunately ,no luck!

dave@linux-2z2n:~> su
Password:
linux-2z2n:/home/dave # rmmod raw1394
ERROR: Module raw1394 does not exist in /proc/modules

dave@linux-2z2n:~> su
Password:
linux-2z2n:/home/dave # modprobe raw1394
linux-2z2n:/home/dave # 

No, that just meant that the raw1394 module wasn’t loaded. When you then did ‘modprobe raw1394’ it executed without a problem. After this

ls -l /dev/raw1394

should return a result with ‘video’ group listed. Then try kino again.

We may need to automate the module loading, although this should happen as soon as a firewire device is connected… but thats another issue if thats the case.

That it did. It looked just like what you had initially. I rebooted as Kino did not respond. Trying the same command now I get this again.

dave@linux-2z2n:~> ls -l /dev/raw1394
ls: cannot access /dev/raw1394: No such file or directory

Ok, you’re close. What is happening is that the ‘raw1394’ module does not get loaded at boot, or when a firewire device is connected apparently. (I’ve only just become aware of this through your posts and my experimentation).

However, we can add this support at boot (rather than typing ‘modprobe raw1394’ manually each time) by doing the following:

1. Naviagate to YaST > System > /etc/sysconfig Editor

2. You will see a panel with ‘+Applications…+ Other…+ System’. Click on the ‘+’ beside 'System ’ to expand the entries contained within this section.

3. Scroll down to ‘+Kernel’. Expand and click on ‘MODULES_LOADED_AT_BOOT’. Here you can add ‘raw1394’

4. When finished, click on ‘OK’.

When you reboot, the module will be loaded, and you can start kino with firewire support. :slight_smile:

Oh well, still not quite there. You have battled really hard at this. I really appreciate the time you have put in to help me.
I have tried disconnecting the the camera, entering the raw1394 module, rebooting and a whole combination of different things. Still comes up looking exactly the same!:frowning:

Oh well, still not quite there. You have battled really hard at this. I really appreciate the time you have put in to help me.

My pleasure. You’re learning and will be able to pass the knowledge on.

I have tried disconnecting the the camera, entering the raw1394 module, rebooting and a whole combination of different things. Still comes up looking exactly the same!

Now, try not to get confused.

Once you reboot, the raw1394 module is not loaded anymore. You can manually load it again (as described previously) with the modprobe command.

This can be ‘automated’ by following the procedure I outlined in my last post (with YaST). Did you try that yet?

After that, it should be loaded every time. So, if you then plug in your video camera, it will be available to kino.