Killing myself with KDE 4.4 settings

I keep killing myself with KDE4.4. First, I accidentally took out the SUSE kicker/application launcher. Then, I took out the Desktop screen. Now, I just took out the full screen view of the options. Help.

Right click on the desktop and unlock widgets, and then right click again and choose add widgets… Drag and drop application launcher as SUSE kicker where you want it and folder as desktop screen… Check out the widgets for more you need to add to desktop or panel.

Good luck…

Is there some way of restoring default settings? I’ve really messed up the screen. Its all pushed to the left. I can select widgets, but they show that they are locked when attempting to slide them onto a panel.

Left-click on the cashew, and select “Remove this Desktop Activity”.

Cheers!

Romanator

If you cannot access the cashew, use the following steps:

1. Press CTRL+ALT+F1 and CTRL+ALT+F2
  2. Log in as user and type: rm -fR .kde then rm -fR kde4
  3. Log out and then log in, type: startx
  4. KDE4 will recreate fresh and new settings.

Cheers!

Romanator

Romanator:

@1. This makes no sense. Why should anyone hop to tty1 and then hop to tty2?
@2. These commands will a) not work as intended (removing /home/$username/.kde & /home/$username/.kde4) as the paths are incomplete, b) would remove KDE3-settings for no reason and c) are totally overkill. Nobody needs to remove the entire configuration files for the whole desktop and dozens of applications in order to reset screen settings. If going this way at all, one should rename (~/.kde4_old or something) or move this folder in order to be able to reuse certain config files.

Also just removing the plasma-* files in ~/.kde4/share/config is normally enough to reset the desktop to default.

Note you should do this with the GUI shutdown or from another users account!!! You don’t change a tire while driving your car do you??

Thanks everyone. I ended up using Romanator’s method: ctrl-alt-F1, ctrl-alt-F2, removing .kde and .kde4, then rebooting the computer. From some of the comments, apparently this approach had all the finesse of hitting a fly with a sledgehammer. The system is presently rebuilding a file index, which appears to be the only collateral damage.

The system is presently rebuilding a file index, which appears to be the only collateral damage.

Well… all your personal configuration is gone. Anyway, if it’s okay for you, it’s okay.

True. It is extreme but it gets the job done when you’re out of ideas.
In the future, access the cashew and select “Remove this Desktop Activity”.

FWIW Check out the desktop shortcuts so that you can access the features in the future.

Good Luck!

Romanator

True. It is extreme but it gets the job done when you’re out of ideas.

Well, there were some ideas left, for example:

In the future, access the cashew and select “Remove this Desktop Activity”.

:slight_smile:

Anyway, it is solved.

Agreed :slight_smile:

My desktop was so degraded that I had no cashew to access. The brute force method worked just fine for me. Whatever profile data settings lost is easily recoverable. I’m thankful that I didn’t have to reformat my hard drive.

One other thing. This forum totally rocks. I’m a user, and not a software developer. I find this forum is priceless in its value. One could spend hundreds of euro/dollars an hour for solutions that don’t come even close to this forum.

The only suggestion I propose is a way to facilitate beer money. I’ve received many important tips worthy of a beer, and have no way rewarding the person who has helped. Do we integrate pay-pal, or is there another solution to this problem?

Enjoy August everyone, or as we in the Pacific Northwest call it Augustober because its freaking cold like October.

The only suggestion I propose is a way to facilitate beer money. I’ve received many important tips worthy of a beer, and have no way rewarding the person who has helped. Do we integrate pay-pal, or is there another solution to this problem?

Like that idea! Lets start a poll on it! lol!