keyboard and touchpad not working on lenovo

i installed suse on my lenovo laptop of Y500 series but the problem i am facing is that my keyboard and touchpad of laptop are not working, it makes me very uncomfortable while working, i want to explore a lot about linux but without my internal keyboard n touchpad of laptop it is very problametic for me. Please help me out.

• MYTH007,

does it work upon boot? If so, pass a kernel option “1” on the Grub screen and login to the console as root. Now launch sax2 and see if you can configure keyboard and touchpad.

Uwe

i tried confugring with different options but it is not working.Please suggest anything else i could try to fix this problem.

• MYTH007 03 wrote, On 01/09/2009 07:26 AM:
    > i tried confugring with different options but it is not working.Please
    > suggest anything else i could try to fix this problem.

Could you use the keyboard during boot? If so, add
locale=en_EN i8042.reset
to the kernel parameter. Replace en_EN with whatever your locale is.

HTH
Uwe

hey man
thanks, it is working fine now but i write that locate=en_EN i8042.reset at the time of boot, i don’t know how to change it in kernel directly, can you please tell me how to do that.
Thanks again for help. And one more thing can you tell me what this command means, i want to know what this command did so that everything is working fine :slight_smile:

On 01/10/2009 MYTH007 03 wrote:
> hey man thanks, it is working fine now but i write that locate=en_EN
> i8042.reset at the time of boot, i don’t know how to change it in
> kernel directly, can you please tell me how to do that. Thanks again
> for help.

Yast, System, Boot Loader. Highlight your Opensuse entry, click Edit and add as an “Optional Kernel Command Line Parameter”

> And one more thing can you tell me what this command means,
> i want to know what this command did so that everything is working
> fine :slight_smile:

i8042 is a very common keyboard controller chip, and this command resets it upon boot.

Uwe

Thanks man
it finally worked :slight_smile: